Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpicid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Symmons - Temptrol Diverter
    I have the above diverter in my bathroom. Recently it started to leak from the diverter handle that changes the use from tub to shower. I purchased the Symmons TA-25A Iverter Spindle to replace old. My problem is that I do not know how to remove the old spindle. Can anyone help me with my problem?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Try this site for direction on fixing your issue. Symmons - FAQ
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 05:25 PM
    So let me get this straight DDYER, you have done one post in your life and it was to give me an inaccurate rating for telling the poster to try the manufacturers FAQ site. How's that work? By the way, you must not read much of the site because several inches down ith talks about leaking shower spouts and to click here to get instruction to remove the T23. Thank s for you huge contribution to helping folks. Do you have anything to tell mpicid? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...32700-new.html
    DDYER Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2008, 07:03 PM
    It isn't your fault. Symmons FAQ doesn't link to a TA-25A removal instruction. All links point to the same instructions... removal of the spindle, repair, and seat removal. Try it. I wrote to Symmons today to point this out.

Link = "How do I replace a Temptrol spindle, washers and/or seats?"

If however there is information specifically for the T-23A diverter, I would be happy to be so directed. It seems a T55C tool is needed to service the diverter. The cause of the leaking is most likely an o-ring, T-24, inside.

Being new doesn't make me a lesser being. Being incorrect doesn't make you a lesser being. Knowledge is temporal - only applies to certain time periods-wisdom is eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by mpicid
    I have the above diverter in my bathroom. Recently it started to leak from the diverter handle that changes the use from tub to shower. I purchased the Symmons TA-25A Iverter Spindle to replace old. My problem is that I do not know how to remove the old spindle. Can anyone help me with my problem?
    From the diagram on the Symmons PDF it looks like a T55C tool is needed. One site, https://www.hatcreekoutfit.com/xcart...me.php?cat=462 sells a kit of tools. I would imagine directions come with them. You could always send a comment to Symmons as well. They've been kind enough to send me simple parts.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Hello all:

Hey DDYER...

I am assuming your intentions are good here. So please bear with me for a minute or so... ok?

So we are clear... Ballenger's post brought me to the same post that you looked at to investigate the TA-25A and draw the conclusion that mpicid may need the T55c tool... right (although you had to type in S-96-2 or something similar to get a schematic... maybe? ).

In fact, the T55c tool is a stop plaster shield removal tool... nothing to do with spindle removal at all. If you review the parts list you can confirm this.

Click on this link from Ballenger's link to confirm:

http://www.symmons.com/~/media/Files...ptrol_ins.ashx

Review page #5 of 6.

Here, what mpicid needs is a EZSYM - Symmons E-Z 4-N-1 Wrench as provided at your link. This tool will remove the DIVERTER RETAINER and the DIVERTER SPINDLE (I usually use a 1/4" allen wrench to remove the retainer and a 1/4" lag bolt to remove the spindle... ;)).

Then grease up the o-rings on the new one and install that. Need to push hard to set it, too.. then can install the brass ring that comes with the TA-25A kit (looks like main section of valve picture at the link above, page #5).

Anyway, that's how it is....mpicid!! Let us know if you need more information. Be clear that a few more plumbers may come in with other ideas... I look forward to them!

Have a good night all.

MARK

Jul 3, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Thanks Mark. You're spot on. I just got an email from Symmons this morning with similar instructions, including using a 5/16 allen and 5/16 screw as tools.

Any type of grease recommended for best results?

Isn't it great when we all play nicely.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Any plumber's grease will work... silicone grease is best!

Thank you for updating the numbers on the allen wrenches... I had a feeling I was off on the 1/4". I just changed it at my post above this one.

Good luck... and for what it's worth please note that Ballenger has 100s of hours posting to people on this site FREE OF CHARGE and that he is one of the most seriously dedicated people here. He was only trying to help... and in some way... he did.. didn't he?

Don't be afraid to pop back anytime and share some information that you feel qualified to share with others here... ;) That is what makes this place so cool!

MARK

Jul 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Ten bucks for a TA-25A - a couple of bucks for some grease- a little elbow grease of my own- and a longtime problem has gone away. Now if anyone is in the DC area and needs a couple of TA-10 spindles that are new (sent by Symmons) and a chrome diverter handle as well, contact me. I have no use for them. Thanks again massplumber and ballengerb1. I hope mpicid got the allen wrench and did the same. It was easy.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 04:52 AM
    Glad you're all set DDYER... Thanks for the update!

Mark
    Brassrat Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Glad you're all set DDYER ...Thanks for the update!!

Mark
    Well, all I can say is 'thanks guys' - although the parts diagram implied that the diverter spindle was a replaceable part it didn't give any directions for removing the old spindle and so I was thinking that I had to replace the whole unit. With your directions it was a easy to replace it.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 07:19 AM
    Glad you found us! Enjoy knowing this helps people even when we aren't here!

Sep 13, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Glad you found us!! Enjoy knowing this helps people even when we aren't here!
    Unfortunately, I wrote too quickly.

It took a while and the help of some wd40 to manage to extract the old diverter valve, which had cracked and I'm not sure what shape the o-ring was in.

A few of years ago I had bought a new unit but did not entirely replace the unit already installed, just the mixing valve and exterior pieces, i.e. I didn't replace the body or the diverter valve (the diverter appeared to be working OK and there was nothing about how to replace it :) ). Now, it appears that there is enough corrosion/wear of the inside of the body that water gets past the new o-ring so I'm going to have to go through the trouble of replacing the body - with the parts I already have.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Did you grease the o-ring before installing the diverter? Did you spin it in as you pushed it in?

Let me know... o-ring could have pinched out if did not do these things...

MARK

Sep 13, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Did you grease the o-ring before installing the diverter? Did you spin it in as you pushed it in??

Let me know...o-ring could have pinched out if did not do these things...

MARK
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Just to make sure, I tried again - with what I think was more than sufficient grease and turning as I the valve in (the valve does not go in easily at first but after the end gets past where the o-ring ends up it gets much easier) - no go, water just comes out at the bottom. There is a grove in the brass body around where the o-rink should be (I think) but no such grove exists in the new body I bought a while ago - I've been in the house 30 years , so the body (and old diverter) is at least that old possibly 10 years older.
    I've tried using some light steel wool to smooth the interior - but to no avail.

Jay
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 13, 2008, 04:45 PM
    You did get a white colored diverter if tub/shower valve or a black colored diverter if only shower valve... yes?

Sep 13, 2008, 07:52 PM
    You did get a white colored diverter if tub/shower valve or a black colored diverter if only shower valve......yes??

Yes, as I mentioned, I bought a complete unit a couple of years ago but only used the spindle and external pieces, not the cap assembly or the body (with its diverter valve).
    The colors match between the old and new (both are white),
    Everything looks/looked the same except for the cap assembly
    And the spindle assembly fit and worked fine.
    So while the cap design is slightly different, I have no way of determining the model number of the installed unit and whether the bodies should be identical.
    Maybe something changed wrt to the diverter valve - they appear to be the same but the o-ring end was already cracked and came apart as I pulled on it and the o-ring got trapped and I had to pull it out in pieces. But it looks to be the same as the new o-ring, diameter and thickness-wise. The only reason I got into this was that moving the diverter handle had suddenly become quite difficult, so maybe something had happened to the o-ring and it was binding against the body.

Anyone feel like taking a trip to the boston suburbs for a sweating party? :)

Sep 14, 2008, 02:09 PM
    In the 'all's well that ends well' category - I made out OK. I replaced the body of the unit - I needed the soldering practice - and sure enough the diverter valve works fine.
    The unit works so smoothly and effortlessly now compared to how it had been working, the old valve/o-ring must have been on their way out for a while.

So, thanks for the inputs, they helped me to get started.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Thanks for update... wondered if you would just replace the valve. Good day!
    donlind1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassrat View Post
    Well, all i can say is 'thanks guys' - although the parts diagram implied that the diverter spindle was a replaceable part it didn't give any directions for removing the old spindle and so i was thinking that i had to replace the whole unit. With your directions it was a easy to replace it.

You guys are the best. I just took the advice you gave and resolved the same problem in about 45 minutes.

Since I have plenty of 'O' rings in the houuse, (I repair SCUBA) I pulled the diverter (easier said than done ;)) and replaced the o-ring an all is dry once again.

Thanks so very much

Don
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 2, 2009, 11:24 AM
    Hi Don:

Thanks for letting us know... glad we could help!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons temptrol valve on shower/tub [ 5 Answers ]

I can only get hot water from this brand new valve. Yhe only way to get cooler water is to reduce the valve to a point where I get very low flow. Increasing the flow to a satisfactory flow only gives hot water. The water coming in is at 130 degrees F. I can not change the temp of the water coming...

Symmons shower valve problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I put a new shower dial and handle kit on. When removing the old handle the stem snapped. It is a symmons. I went to the plumbing store and got a new one. I put it in and now have no hot water or so little it feels cold. This may sound dumb but my hot water flow in all sinks is low pressure...

Temptrol shower valve leaking from diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1985 vintage Temptrol shower valve, model A, that is leaking from diverter. When I turn the handle I get a burst of water from the hole where the diverter handle plugs in. I have a parts breakdown list but it looks like a newer model. Can mine be repaired? Thanks

Symmons Temptrol Shower/Tub Handle - [ 1 Answers ]

I printed off the internet the part breakdwon to my tub/shower one-dial Symmons Temtrol kit as I am trying to stop a slow leak out oif the tub faucet. I removed the screw and cap - and I can't get the handle off - is it hyst suppoosed to pull off once the screw is removed? That is how the...

View more questions Search