Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffjnadeau Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Early probation termination
    When you go in front of the judge to terminate probation early, what questions does he/she ask?
    What % of people get granted versus denied?
    Are there any negatives to trying?
    What if not granted, can you try again? How long?
    Thanks
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2006, 04:09 PM
    #1: Have you paid all fines and fees?
    #2: Have you completed all programs required by the court.
    #3: Have you learned to not break the law?

If all of these have been met then there really is no reason to keep you on probation but only if you have a good underlying reason as to why you need to be off probation, ie: a job somewhere else, a sick family member in another state.
    denise1070 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2006, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjnadeau
    When you go in front of the judge to terminate probation early, what questions does he/she ask?
    Thanks
    In my County and State, you don't have to go before the Judge to be released from probation early. If you have abided by all the rules and regulations of probation, paid everything in full, not failed any drug tests, etc. most likely they release you early.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Usually, probation doesn't get terminated early, period. With probation, you've already been technically cut a break by not being imprisoned but put on probation instead. With that in mind, no judge is going to be inclined to terminate anybody's probation early just because they asked for it.

Aug 31, 2006, 07:09 AM
    For the Circuit I work for, it happens often. If someone has abided by all the rules of probation, it's usually granted.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Hello again, jeff:

You asked this question the other day. I was on probation in Maricopa County and got off early. It would seem that my answer would be of interest to you. Don't you read your answers? Let me try again. This is what I said the other day:

>>>I got off probation early, too. However, I can't remember exactly how I did it. I do remember that it was nothing more than some bureaucratic stuff. Fact is, I had a lot of help from my PO. If your PO doesn't know what to do, her supervisor will.<<<

Maybe I should elaborate. It's BUREAUCRATIC stuff. That means it all happens within the probation department. It does NOT go in front of a judge.

There IS a procedure. Ask your probation officer what it is. If she doesn't know, her supervisor will.

If you ask again, my information won't change.

excon
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Hello again, jeff:

Actually, I think I mis-spoke above. I believe the probation department makes a motion to the judge. There is no hearing. Assuming you have the cooperation of your PO, I'm sure it will be granted.

Your first step, however, is the same. Talk to your PO.

excon
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2006, 03:48 PM
    The judge ordered probation so no one short of GOD can change the judges order. The probation officer probably took the paper work to the judge and He/She signed off on it. That would be the only way to reduce the probation period if you did not go before the judge.
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Aug 31, 2006, 10:53 PM
    Magprob got is just right, but excon added something very important - What the PO says about your motion carries A LOT of weight.

Beyond that, every jurisdiction is different, and it also depends on your record, and what you're on probation for. In many locales, if they court is not willing to early term you, either the judge, or your PO can put you on what's variously called administrative, summary, or "paper" probation. That's where you are technically still on probation, but with no requirement to report or do anything else, except not break the law again.

Good luck.
    Danyael Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2007, 01:21 AM
    GaryArt is again correct. This type of probation is called "inactive" probation.

Mar 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
    We call this type of probation "unsupervised" probation. Magistrate court orders unsupervised probation in my county and state also.
    101350 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    The judge ordered probation so no one short of GOD can change the judges order. The probation officer probably took the paper work to the judge and He/She signed off on it. That would be the only way to reduce the probation period if you did not go before the judge.
    I have to go before the judge per PO and some paper work has to be done to get a court
    Date before the court I live in Broward County, Florida
    vedasmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Stna in deperate need of a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjnadeau
    Thanks
    How long do you have to be on probation to get inactive probation I have a 3year probation
    Uber Member

May 12, 2008, 02:01 PM
    Hello veda:

Every probation department is different and has different rules. You should ask YOUR po. If you get some crap, ask to read the probation procedures manuel and look for a chapter on early termination. If you find one, do what it says. If you don't find one, your department doesn't have provisions for it.

excon
    jeffreyh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
    Check out my blog and learn how I was able to get off probation before the early termination period. http://jeffreyhilaire.com
    EmMC09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2012, 12:12 PM
    My probation officers did the paper work for my early termination request and it was sent to the judge of my case. I have completed all the requirements and paid all fines. He told me that I have to wait until I receive something in the mail about when they would hear my case but technically they don't have to until the end of my probation period. I really need my probation terminated and record expunged before the end of the year so that I can start working in January. Is there a way I can call the courthouse and request that they hear my case earlier than they plan?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AZ. Terminate Probation Early [ 6 Answers ]

I was sentenced to 3 years probation for a misd charge in Arizona/Maricopa County/Scottsdale City Court. I was told by my probation officer that I could get off after 18 months. My 18 months is up and my probation officer said she would not contest. What do I need to do? Forms, motions,...

Termination of At Will Employment [ 1 Answers ]

If an at will employee is terminated by their employer for cause and investigation finds that there is no evidence to support the claim, can that employee then sue the employer for wrongful termination given that the employer could not supply evidence to show just cause?

Probation Termination [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to apply for early termination for probation, is there a form or do I just write the judge

Early Probation Termination [ 7 Answers ]

The condition of my probation state that the court may at any time modify the conditions of my probation, under certain circustances, extend or terminate probation early for exemplary performance. Does any one know how to go about asking the courts to consider early termination.

View more questions Search