Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khaledmah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2009, 04:50 PM
    1099 Tax question
    Hi,

I loaned a friend of mine 5000 early this year (he is an accountant) , and few days ago he said he will return me the money in 5 checks each is 1000 and will issue me 1099 form. Does that mean I will have to pay more tax because it is another income ? Or does that merely reduce his tax ? Thanks
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2009, 04:57 PM

If he's merely repaying money that you lent him, there's no tax liability on your part and therefore no need for a 1099 form. You don't indicate that he's paying you interest on the money. If he were, then the interest would be taxable as income but not the $5000 principal.

Dec 14, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Thanks for your answer,
    My understanding was that no 1099 is needed since he is not paying me any interest. But since he was insisting to give me 1099 , I become suspicious as I don't understand why he wants to give me 1099.. Do you know what benefit can 1099 bring him ?

Thanks
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Dec 15, 2009, 07:32 AM

This is no friend!
    Unless there is interest involved (and in that case he would issue a 1099INT), he is merely repaying you your own capital.

Tell him he's a thief and you will report him to the IRS. He is trying to position the repayment of a loan as a $5,000 business expense and stick you with a tax bill... for shame!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 15, 2009, 12:38 PM
    Well said, Five Rings! I am in complete agreement!

Dec 18, 2009, 12:23 PM
    Thanks Five Rings and Atlanta Tax expert. So, you are saying, that by issuing me 1099, he can claim this money as business expense and get tax cut on his income and at the same time I will have to pay more tax because of this 1099.. do I understand correctly ?

Thanks again
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Yes, that is EXACTLY what we are saying!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 Misc question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I worked as an Independent Contractor for a few months and received a 1099 Misc for the same. As I was going through the instructions for Schedule C-EZ, it said I need to fill the form if I am continuing the business.. which I am not. So should I include the amount in 1099 MISC in Other Income...

1099 R Question [ 2 Answers ]

Do you have to claim your 401K 1099R on your state return documents since no state and city taxes are taken out on these plans?

1099-G Question [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099-G (Georgia) for tax year 2005, what is this and do I put it on my current one or how do I deal with the past? If I put it on the current where do I put it? Also I have a 17 y/o daughter and trying to add hers to my return so she doesn't have to file a separate one and on turbo...

1099-R / P Code Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello- My employer last year indicated that certain members of the company would be getting a 401k distribution because the company failed its non-discriminatory test by the government (set up to ensure that the plan set up by the company benefits employees of all $ levels.) Unfortunately,...

1099-A Question [ 3 Answers ]

When we filed bankruptcy in '99, we did not reaffirm on our mortgage loan, and was told we could keep our home as long as we still made our payments, but if we abandoned our home, we would not be liable for the remainder of the loan. We received a 1099-A and was wondering if we need to report this...

View more questions Search