Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bowat9669 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 04:07 AM
    A/C compressor trips fuse in disconnect?
    I am new to this site and in need of all of your help. My AC was running fine on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday, then Sunday night I noticed that the air coming from the vents was not as cool as it had been earlier. I walked outside and my compressor unit was off. I reset the circuit breaker and it ran fine, then later tripped off again. Could this be a result of an improperly working thermostat? Or what else could it be? It is way HOT here in Missouri and all of your help is appreciated by my entire Family!!

Help in Missouri,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 05:30 AM
    The circuit breaker could be weak allowing it to trip easier at less current draw.

The condenser outside might be dirty allowing the head pressure to rise causing a over current situation to trip the breaker

The unit might need a hard start kit to allow the compressor to draw less amps on start up and helping to prevent a breaker trip.

Most if not all of these items will need a Professional ON SITE inspection to determine the exact cause.

It could also be a compressor going south drawing more current that normal. Hopefully this is not the case because that is a expensive situation.

Aug 4, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bowat9669
    I am new to this site and in need of all of your help. My AC was running fine on Saturday and most of the day on Sunday, then Sunday night I noticed that the air coming from the vents was not as cool as it had been earlier. I walked outside and my compressor unit was off. I reset the circuit breaker and it ran fine, then later tripped off again. Could this be a result of an improperly working thermostat? Or what else could it be? It is way HOT here in Missouri and all of your help is appreciated by my entire Family!!!!

Help in Missouri,
    The information I have is as follows.
    Tepstar 10
    Model#NAC303AKA1
    Serial# L001422856
    Manufacturer: Tepstar
    Voltage min:197 max:253
    PSIG high:300 low:150

Aug 4, 2008, 01:49 PM
    My last post gave you all the information available for your problem.

You will probably need to call for ON SITE professional help unless you have a meter and know how to use it.

Aug 5, 2008, 03:38 AM
    Thanks for your help. I had suspected the thermostat as a possible problem, as during the heating months the thermostat was off by a few degrees. You need to set the stat on 80 to get it to cool to 75-76 degrees. And in the heating months you would have to set it at about 60 degrees to get it to heat to 75-80 degrees.
    So I went home after work with a new stat, as I was pulling the old stat off the wall and disconnecting the t-stat wires I noticed that the yellow wire was broken and all that was holding it together was the plastic sheathing. I mounted the new stat and connected wires. I first turned the fan to run and it came on, so I switched it to cool and set the stat to 75 degrees, the compressor and motor kicked on first as normal then the blower motor and viola!! It has worked properly ever since. My house has been at 76 degrees since this fix was applied. I don't know why it happened as it did, no one ever messed with the t-stat wires or removing the t-stat for that matter. But all is good as of now anyway.
    Thanks for the help and I hope that I may be able to help someone down the road with a problem. I used to work in HVAC about 13 years ago, but all I did was commercial and residential installs. No service work.

Again Thanks,

Aug 5, 2008, 03:52 AM
    A very strange cure for a circuit breaker trip. Depending upon the system the yellow wire is used to activate the contactor in mostly A/C use only situations. But I do not know what kind of equipment you have and a heat pump is a different story

I am glad you got it going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ECU fuse and turn/reverse signal fuse problems [ 3 Answers ]

He, I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX Hatchback and has had electrical problems since the day I got it. This sh*t sucks. First, it was the ignition that kept burning up and I went through 3, and found the solution. Fixed that problem and now, there's another. The ECU fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing...

Outside ac compressor citcuit breaker trips [ 2 Answers ]

My ac compressor trips the circuit breaker after it has started and ran for awhile. This is starting to happen about once every two days. I replaced the run capacitor and this did not cure the problem. When the compressor is not tripping the breaker, the unit cools properly (ie, it maintains the...

Furnace Trips Fuse after a day/two [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have split unit. With the Air handler / Furnace in the Attic. There are three Fuses. One by the condenser outside unit, one at the main CB, and one in the attic next to the Furnace. Two days ago the heater melted the attic service breaker, so the CB Box got replaced thinking it was a faulty...

How to change an A/C Fuse along side a compressor? [ 1 Answers ]

My A/C went down last night in Miami, :( Its an American Standard (Trane) model 7B0017B100A0 - mfg'd 03/98, 1 phase 200/230 volts, 60hz. Recommended fuse is 15 15, max circ cap 11.0 amps The breaker works but the compressor doesn't come on.. I thought that perhaps the fuse went and that would...

Hot Tub Disconnect [ 4 Answers ]

From reading past questions and responses, I got a fairly clear idea about how to wire the GFI panel between the distribution panel and hot tub. Thanks for the references that people posted! There is still one requirement, however, that still puzzles me. The NEC calls for a disconnect to be...

View more questions Search