Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kfandj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2004, 07:03 AM
    Smell coming from toilet
    Please help - our guest bathroom has this awful smell coming from the toilet -
    And we are at a loss to what it is from. We have a septic tank but the master bath doesn't smell at all. I was told to check the vent, or the wax seal to the floor. What do you think or is there something else I should be doing. The smell only seems to appear in the winter - we put bleach in the bowl and tank however it only helps for maybe a day and then its back.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 29, 2004, 06:34 PM
    Smell coming from toilet
    Where is the smell worse? From the bowl itself or down at the base? How's the water level in the bowl? Do any of the other fixtures "gurgle" when you flush the toilet. I'll wait on your reply. Tom
    kfandj Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2004, 11:36 AM
    Smell coming from toilet
    Where is the smell worse? From the bowl itself or down at the base?

The smell is worse from the bowl itself - no other smell from base or other fixtures (like drains)

How's the water level in the bowl?

The water level is approx 3 to 3 1/2 inches from the rim

Do any of the other fixtures "gurgle" when you flush the toilet?

No

Thanks for your help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 30, 2004, 11:53 AM
    Smell coming from toilet
    Sounds like everything's Ok in the toilet. Try this. First shut the water off at the stop under the tank and flush to empty the tank. Tonight dip and sponge all the water out of the bowl and tank and dump 1/2 gallon of bleach in the empty tank,(wash down the inside walls with bleach). Now dump the rest in the empty bowl and brush the bowl down with the bleach in the bowl with a toilet brush. Let set overnight. Next morning turn the water back on, fill the tank and flush your problems away. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Smell coming from cold water in sink and bathroom [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I have spent a lot of money on my plumbing problem and still don't have an answer. We added a 2bedroom 1 bath addition onto our house. About a month after we started using the addition we began to have a sewer smell coming from the cold water. We removed alloy rod from water heater just in...

Sewage gas smell coming up in Master Tub [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I have seen similar questions but am not sure if answer applies in my case. We recently built a house and began noticing a sewage gas smell coming up from our master bath tub. Shower is separate from tub. I also notice a gurgling sound in the master tub when we flush the master...

Sewage smell coming from vanity cabinet area... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi... I'm new here. I know that similar questions like this have been posed here before, but I'm still confused about my situation... We just bought a house a few months ago. It's a modular. Ever since we bought the place, there has been a sewage odor coming from the master bath vanity cabinet....

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search