Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoda Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
    How and where can my kid take IQ test?
    I want to ask where Can my son have IQ test?
    He is 5 years (he is in kindergarten) and he can count until 100 and can do addition for double and triple numbers, he can do spelling and can write small sentences. He does subtraction(addition better than subtraction).
    In his class he just takes letters and feels that it is so boring because he already can write . I want him to skip the kindergarten class, How can we do that?

Thank you so much.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Contact your local school board and see who does screening in your area. The name of the test you want is called Denver II.

Now, remember that giving the child the title of "gifted" has many more disadvantages rather than advantages. Have you made an appointment with the teacher? If not I would suggest doing so. While some children do well skipping grades, it is very hard on others. Children are cruel. He will get made fun of if he skips. Talk to the teacher, see what her recommendations are. Maybe she could give him some extra work to do in class.

What we are doing with my son (I chose not to have the label of "gifted" put on his school records), is he goes to kindergarten for the majority of the day, but leaves for an hour twice a week to participate in a first grade reading program.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 09:29 PM
    How are your son's emotional and social IQ? Those are very important, especially at his age. Knowledge IQ is less important. My parents always stressed that it was up to me NOT to be bored, to find ways to go beyond the assignment, not for extra credit but simply to learn new things and to satisfy myself.

Rather than allow your son to whine and cry and "be bored," teach him how to not only do his best work, to check it, but also teach him how to find new ways and things to learn. Have him help write the family grocery list, write notes and letters to relatives far away, get books and other helps from the library, including books that teach a child how to do things. Insist that he be his own best teacher.

Mensa has a children's division. If you need phone numbers or contact names, please tell me where you live so I can connect you with them. It would be good to allow your son to be involved in intellectually stimulating and social activities with other bright children.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Also many children can do this in kindergarten if their parents work with them a lot, many kids parents idea of helping kids is letting them watch PBS on TV.

To skip a grade here it is not a IQ test that has to be taken, but there is a exam to show you have the knowledge of that class.
    Often in schools it is not kindergarten but at that end of kindergarten the child can be tested to see if they can skip 1st grade. (( at least this is what happens here)
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Sep 14, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Search on Google and you should find a free one. I just took one
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 07:06 PM
    A true IQ test is not an achievement test that quizzes about school subjects. An IQ test tests memory recall, logical and deductive reasoning, understanding sequence and order, spatial relations skills, and the ability to problem-solve.

As part of my master's program, I had to administer IQ tests to several people. The test included my saying a list of numbers and the subject repeating them back to me in the same order I gave them, then my saying a different list of numbers and the subject repeating them back to me in reverse order. The test also included putting picture cards in order to tell a story and rearranging multicolored plastic cubes to match the patterns that were pictured on cards.
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 12, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Please remember, I.Q. tests should be taken at a young age(preferrably 3rd graders) because otherwise, the other stuff like life experiences get in the way. You may find a test by conacting your school special services, or by finding a physchologist
    cobrasbaseball34 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Gallivant fellow those arnt completely accurate you need to do one on the internet that's not free because all of those don't really work
    guest12987 Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
    The things you described are not means to skip a child in Kindergarten. I am a Kindergarten teacher, and I can tell you that many kids are able to do that mid-year. I am not sure the depth of which you are describing his being able to add and subtract double and triple digit numbers, because there is a lot of knowledge that needs to be enforced to actually understand what is going on when using double and triple digit numbers... just because he can add the rows and gets the correct answer doesn't mean he understands place value... Also, all kindergarteners should be able to write small sentences at some point before they are promoted to first grade. I would highly discourage skipping kindergarten as it is a HUGE developmental period for children. If he is gifted, these abilities will come forth within the next few years and a gifted program will give him the necessary tests.

In order to skip a grade, students usually have to pass (at an advanced level) all of the end-of-the-year assessments for the grade (kindergarten) they are wanting to skip. This is rather difficult and ultimately the decision will be up to a board, or the principal and classroom teachers.

Only ANSWER the question on this page here. Do NOT ASK a question.

You are NOT logged in.

You are NOT logged in.

You are NOT logged in.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

May 1, 2008, 07:12 AM
    My son is in kindergarten. He can add, subtract and do beginning fractions. I taught him everything at home. He also reads at 2nd. Grade level. So when he started school. He was so advanced. I felt like he wasn't learning anything. So I asked the teacher if they would pull him out for reading and math. They said he couldn't do that. I didn't want him to skip so instead they are giving him extra homework that he can do when he wants. She photocopies worksheets from higher up grades and sends them home with him. And she gives him level reading books from the higher up grades. And he gets the social skills he needs from kindergarten. He loves leaning things so he started taking piano lessons too. I don't think skipping grades are really a good idea unless they are so smart that they are 3 or 4 grades ahead of their age.
    Andrew2913 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoda
    I want to ask where Can my son have IQ test?
    He is 5 years (he is in kindergarten) and he can count until 100 and can do addition for double and triple numbers, he can do spelling and can write small sentences. he does subtraction(addition better than subtraction).
    In his class he just takes letters and feels that it is so boring because he already can write . I want him to skip the kindergarten class, How can we do that?

Thank you so much.
    Hoda - I am the father of a gifted child who is now twelve years old. You ask " Can my son have IQ test?" The short answer, because I do not know you live, should be yes. I had my son assessed at the age of four by an educational child psychologist. I think your first step would be to appproach the professional registering body for pyschologists in your area for a list of appropriate psychologists. Once you have that then you may be part of the way to achieving your goal. If your child is truly gifted then I wish you and your son all the best for the future. Being recognised is not the end of the struggle.
    JOHANDER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Check with you school and ask them what test they use for the assessment and then get a copy. There are lots of resources on the web for this. Beware the Internet IQ tests - get the test from the provider.

However, as a kindergarten teacher myself, I would advise against skipping kindergarten. My experience as a teacher is that many kids - usually those who have obviously been tutored by parents - can do what you are describing. In fact I would say that a majority of kids in kindergarten have the aptitude to do what you are describing - and many of them have not tested as gifted.

But kindergarten is more about building social skills that academic skills. If you look at a typical day in kindergarten, you will find many more activities designed to foster creativity and sharing than pure academics. At this stage in life, these children need to learn how to function in society - how to share, how to lead, how to play as a team.

In fact, many parents of my children - even those that have tested into the gifted program - choose to leave their kids in kindergarten for 2 years instead of 1. This is because they want their kids to be emotionally and socially prepared for first grade. I know of 3 kids in particular that were on the young side for entering first grade, all gifted, and all stayed in kindergarten for another year. I'm sure they will be fine.

Lastly, while your child may be gifted and there is nothing wrong with taking an IQ test, it is worth noting that the IQ test will not test these "learned" skills. It will test aptitude for problem solving, memory, and other things you can't teach for. His ability to read and do math may suggest he has aptitutude, but it does not guarantee it. Even kids with lower aptitude can learn what you are describing if someone like yourself is willing to put in the time. Kudos to you for investing in your child's education!

In short, be careful you don't lose site of the real reason your child is in kindergarten. If your child is gifted, he has plenty of time to advance academically. But fostering these social skills is critical. Skipping that part could make your child's life miserable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negative blood test and urine test! [ 11 Answers ]

Hey umm I am 3 and a half months late for my period. And I have taken several home pregnancy test and 1 blood test... all negative.during the 1st month I lost weight and now I have gained weight... just like when I was pregnant with my son. Who is almost 10 months. I've never ever been late...

Test Device 2 Test Inside Wiring w/o Phone [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a small (max 5cmX5cmx5cm), inexpensive test device or card on the market that I can use to test my phone line at the NID without using a telephone? This is important as I have a cordless.

Negative pregnant test and blood test. Could I still be pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

I had an ectopic pregnancy in October 2006, and have been trying to conceive since January 07, I am 1week late for my period and have had many signs of pregnancy, including spotting a week before my period was due, since then I have had 5 negative home pregnancy tests, and a hcg level of below 1.5...

Me and My kid [ 2 Answers ]

Ok lets see where do i began ok when i was 14 years old i gave birth to my baby girl who i love very much but now im 16 and she is two and im here in Nampa idaho and she is in Tacoma washington with her father who has a major drug problem how do i get her away from all that when im here in idaho...

What's the diff between diaelectric test and insulation test [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled, What exactly is the difference between diaelectric test and insulation test. Some says it the same, but others says it's because one applied power to perform the test the latter don't. And some says both are using power but one is using AC power and the other using Dc power. There...

View more questions Search