Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syed4all Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2017, 11:07 AM
    Question about Proof of Real Number..
    Q: Prove that for any Real Numbers a,b ab=0⇒a=0 or b=0
    Rebecca131 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2017, 12:31 PM
    I found the following on Google: "We continue the series of proofs of the basic theorems in Algebra. In this post, we use the Axioms of Real Numbers to prove that the product of any number and zero is zero. You may go back the the preceding link to review the axioms stated below. Theorem For any number a, 0a = 0. Proof We know that 0 + 0 = 0. Multiplying both sides by a, we have (0 + 0)a = 0a. By the Distributive Property (Axiom 4), we get 0a + 0a = 0a. Since by Axiom 5A, any number has an Additive Identity (recall c = c + 0 for any c), we can add 0, the right hand side of the equation giving us 0a + 0a = 0a + 0. By the Cancellation Law, we eliminate one 0a on both sides of the equation resulting to 0a = 0 which is what we want to prove."
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2017, 01:16 PM
    This is YOUR homework... show us what YOU think the answer is and why. Site rules require it.
    MathMaven53 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2018, 10:42 AM
    a b= 0
    If a not equal to 0 we can divide both sides by a
    a b divided by a equals b
    0 divided by a equals 0
    Then b = 0
    Similarly assume b not equal to 0
    Then divide a b=0 by b

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A question on proof by mathematical induction [ 2 Answers ]

The steps for proof for mathematical induction induction for summation of a series are listed in my book as: 1. prove that it is true for n=1. 2. assume that it is true for n=k. 3. thus prove that it is true for n=k+1 Now it is step 2 and 3 that bothers me. We assume that the expression...

Question about Calculus (Limit Proof).. [ 3 Answers ]

I attach the Pdf Math File which is shown as below. Please Open it and Solve my Problem...? Please tell me as soon as possible. Thanks a lot for this....1

How much is a brian halsey artist proof nuclead 4th state number 4 of 15 worth [ 0 Answers ]

Brian halsey print nuclead 4th state artist proof worth

Question on values of 1976 proof sets and $2 bills [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have several signed $2 bills (1976) by the treasurer and secretary by the Federal reserve bank of Richmond Va. Any idea of value? I also have a $2 with a 13 cent stamp and a Washington DC post office imprinted stamp dated 4/13/1976. I have two 1976 coin proof sets: One has $1 coin, 50 cent...

Proof government not in touch with REAL life [ 6 Answers ]

Homeland Security says get shots to go to Nascar. FOXNews.com - Lawmakers Trade Accusations Over NASCAR Vaccinations Story - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

View more questions Search