Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mvanwall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Kitchen drain smell comes and goes
    Kitchen drain has a gross smell that comes and goes.. maybe there for a couple of days then unnoticeable for a week or two or month and then comes back. It's nasty. The dishwasher smells like it too. I've had the drain pipe, garburator and dishwasher all checked and no one finds the answer. Could it be in the sewer drain between here and the property line? We don't notice it in the bathroom at the back of the house or upstairs. Just the kitchen, dishwasher and sometimes the laundry room which is the room next to the kitchen.
    Please advise.. do I need roto rooter?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 22, 2011, 03:45 PM

Assuming you have either a air gap or a high loop between the drain and the dishwasher, what you describe sounds like a blocked vent pipe. To test, next time you smell the odor pour about a pint of water down the drain, pour slowly. See if odor dissipates.
    kilted10r Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
    Has anyone checked to make sure the trap is set up properly on the drain?

The reason that S-shaped or P-shaped section of pipe is there is that it should always hold a little water in it, trapping all the sewer gasses on the other side.

It sounds to me like maybe your trap isn't holding water, and it's letting sewer gas out into your house. Does the smell stop if you run some water? If it does, chances are that's your issue.

On the other hand, if the smell gets worse after consistent regular use, then I would guess you have a leak in the drain line somewhere in the wall or beneath the floor... or possibly the vent line.

As a general rule, avoid chemical drain cleaners, as they can dissolve the pipes along with the clogs.. There are several companies that make 'natural' drain cleaners.. Roebic is one example. The cleaners are bacterial instead of chemical. Live bacteria go into the drain and basically just eat the clog. It takes longer, but you don't ruin your pipes.

Good luck!
    JWilkins Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Roto Rooter won't help for something like this... neither will caustic or acid drain openers. Vent pipe suggestions seem good to investigate for a permanent fix. We have periodic odors from kitchen sink, disposer and dishwasher too and determined it was from food and grease particle build up. Started using Drain Free Build Up Remover from Wal-Mart on a regular basis. Also bought a granule product direct from the manufacturer of Drain Free (1-800-833-2334) and put a Tablespoon plus a cup of hot water in drain and disposer once a month and that has pretty much cured our odors. To use the granules in dishwasher we use a couple of tablespoons in instead of dish detergent and run the dishwasher from time to time...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Gas smell coming from Kitchen drain [ 4 Answers ]

I am having problem with a smell coming from the Kitchen drain. I checked all drains in the house and the only one that as an odor is in the Kitchen. I have poured Drano and Vinegar down the drain but no results. Please Help.

Smell comes from kitchen and bathroom. Drain is clear. Why [ 4 Answers ]

Smell like something is died is coming from the kitchen and bathroom when dishwasher or laundry is used. Plumber put drain cleaner down and it still smells. It'snot ananimals it has had time enough to decay and go away What can we do?

Sewer smell from shower drain and kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

I'm wondering what is causing a horrid sewer smell coming from the shower drain as well as the kitchen sink (only the garbage disposal side). I've scrubbed clean as well as I can, but this goes beyond that even. Help please... :mad:

Smell in the kitchen drain [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to clean the kitchen drain so it would not smell?:mad:

Foul smell in kitchen drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a problem with a very bad odor in my kitchen sink drain since the weather got warm. My home is new and is a manufactured home in a park. I have used gel drain openers followed by boiling water and when that did not work I used a box of baking soda, 1cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar, let...

View more questions Search