Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infrequentuser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Question for DrBill--Infrequent User of Marijuana + Hair Drug Test
    Hi DrBill,

I know you've answered this question a couple of times before, but each situation is different, and like most people going in for a hair test, I'm getting slightly paranoid and nervous.

I won't bore you with a long intro, so here's the gist of it: I am a very infrequent smoker. The last time I smoked was 20 days ago, where I smoked the equivalent of approximately 1 bowl, maybe less (so 7-9 hits I'd say is the range). I have a drug test next week, which will be exactly 4 weeks from my last smoke. Prior to the smoke 3 weeks ago, the last time I smoked was November (5 months ago), and prior to that, the last time I smoked was August. If I do not undergo any cleansing methods, how are my chances of passing? I also mixed alcohol with my most recent smoke... will that affect the THC concentration in my hair in any way?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it!
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
    Hair testing is a very poor method for detecting cannabis use at any range but all of the research indicates it is not effective in detecting infrequent use. 1, 2, 3

THC, and the main metabolite THC-COOH, do not incorporate to a great extent into hair. TCH-COOH is not highly bound to melanin. Hence, concentrations in hair are much lower when compared with other drugs of abuse. As an example, cocaine is incorporated into hair at a rate 3600 times that of THC.

While any given case can't be predicted the research is very consistent on this issue. Heavy smokers, daily chronic users are detected at the rate of about 60% and infrequent users are seldom if ever detected. 3

1. Musshoff 2006
    2. Galanter & Kleber, 2011 p. 58,
    3) Huestis, 2008
    jgibbs7 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 07:26 AM
    here's what I know.

1)t takes affected hair 7-10 days to enter the cutting range

2) hair grow about 1/2 inch a month, every 1/2 inch represents ruffly a month give or take a week.

3) hair labs need around 1cm to 1/2inch to test head on the hair.

4)hair tests don't usually pick up very infrequent use, like low dosages once every 3 months cause the drug has to build up so much.

5)my story

I used heroin frequently all the way up till 2-16 or 2-22, can't remember the exact date. I quit using and a couple weeks later interviewed for a position with a large company under the assumption that I would take a urine test. I found out on 4-2 that I was accepted for the job and I would be receiving paper work to take a hair follicle drug test. Also on 3/30 at midnight I consumed 1 tablet of ecstasy, but haven't used that for a very, very long time. For the past two weeks I have been cutting the side of my head down to 1/8 of an inch, and the top to exactly 1/2 inch. It has been over 6 weeks since my last opiate use ( will never do again after dealing with the stress of a drug test) so technically the hair containing any drug metabolites is cut out. I went to the lab this morning at 730 am and gave my hair one last fresh cut last night. The lab nurses are very cool, they asked if they could take hair from my body, but I shaved it all off. I told them that I model part time for the gay bar down the street, but I don't think they really cared. They are just there to earn a check. They asked to call the company I work for to see if we could do urine screen instead, which would have been awesome, but I did not want my potential employer to know that I shaved my body. They called but it was to early and no one was in the office. The hair was to short for scissors so they used a razor with about an 1/8 of an inch guard which made me happy because now there is no way that the tablet of x will be high enough for detection (even though it probably wouldn't have shown with scissors). I don't know why they just didn't use scissors, they could have cut closer to get more hair. They said that there is a chance that the hair will be to short and I'll have to come back.
    I highly doubt this because from all the research I did. The labs usually melt down a small amount of hair in a solution and then test it with enzymes that react to drug metabolites, if there isn't enough metabolites then the drug test goes no further. If it does then they run it gs/ms machine to find out exact levels and verification of chemicals. They don't do the second step first because they are for profit companies and the enzyme test is much cheaper. I paid close attention to the paperwork and it didn't disclose where the took the hair from, so as far as the lab is concerned it could be from anywhere. Anyway I'll know the results with in a couple of days, but am almost 100% sure I'll pass. If not, its my own fault. My life won't end because I didn't get the job. I have learned a good lesson from this. Don' t do drugs.

I'll post my results as soon as I find out. If I don't hear anything within a week, then I passed. Wish me luck, same to you.
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
    You can always get a job in a commercial drug testing lab. You are more knowledgeable than 95% of the techs.

My only advice is to do a little more research in relation to incorporation rate (ICR) as well as the avenues of incorporation. You seem to be counting on the fact that metabolites are incorporated exclusively via circulation, at the root (papilla) of the hair. In fact, there is no single means whereby drugs are incorporated into hair but the sebaceous glands are involved and, if so, substantially alter the time line of 7-10 days. How any particular drug gets into hair remains unknown and subject to continuing debate.

Following is a doctoral thesis by Susanna Vogliardi, 2008 that is very thorough, informative and hypercritically reviewed: See Vogliardi

Not for the average reader but you seem to have the interest and capability.

Anxious to hear your results.

Apr 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
    I got the job. I started on 4-9-12. It is 4-10-12 and I still have the chance of receiving unwanted news, but I don't think this company would let me start with out confirmation of negative results. So if I don't post another reply claiming my epic failure by the end of the week then you'll know I passed for sure. Thanks for the article, very interesting. I hope my post helps people out with any questions about the testing and what I did to pass. Abstinence, hair cuts and a lot of research. Don't try your luck with a scam hair follicle wash. I even went to the extent to claim I was a employer and had a representative from quest call me and answer any questions I couldn't figure out. Anyway, good luck to all!

Thanks!
    infrequentuser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
    I got my results back earlier this week, I passed! Thanks for your info DrBill, not only were you right, you made me a lot less nervous about my results. Thanks!!

Apr 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Just wanted to let you know its been three weeks and still have a job. Thank you for the interesting link to testing. You were right, above most peoples heads. I just wanted to let everyone know that abstinence is the best policy. If you can, stall the drug test as long as you can so you may allow it to grow it out to a length where the area is able to be cut out. I have been offered drugs many times sense, I have debated, and turned them down. Being subject to a test that may affect you lively hood is very stressful. Anyway, I was avidly using heroin and quit, luckily without many adverse affects. Guess I'm just lucky. I don't think drugs affect your overall intelligence, but they affect your attitude and performance. Never the less, they are reasons that you may no longer be employable, and employment is much more important than pleasure, and if pleasure is more important then there is an underlying problem. I hope that these posts are easily found, and you (whoever) passes your drug test, and you change your life for the better. If you find this post then the chances are that your in a predicament, and hopefully your smart enough not to get yourself in the same situation again.
    ncbryantr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 11:48 AM
    I have to take a hair test tomorrow morning I used to be a every day smoker until about 4 months. Ago I haven't smoked any since they told me the test would go back as far as 6 to 8 months do you think I could pass it or do you have any ideas on how to...

Jul 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Cut your hair to 3/4 of an inch. If you haven't smoked for 4 months you'll be fine. Also shave your body hair so they don't take it from there.
    ncbryantr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 04:28 PM
    Will I pass it without shaving my body hair? Just wondering...
    gnosis123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Dr. Bill,

I smoked ONE joint four weeks ago (over the course of three days while my wife was out of town). About three puffs a day. I'm being tested via hair next week. Should I worry? I'm 6'3 and about 240lbs. I hadn't smoked pot for several years prior to this. Thanks doc... I know you answer these types of questions often, but I'm stressing here.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gnosis123 View Post
    Dr. Bill,

I smoked ONE joint four weeks ago (over the course of three days while my wife was out of town). About three puffs a day. I'm being tested via hair next week. Should I worry? I hadn't smoked pot for several years prior this. Thanks doc.
    That is of no concern with hair testing. Will not show up.
    gnosis123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
    Thanks doc. Appreciate it.
    drewbaby1414 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
    I used Heroin one time... The guy I got it from said it wasn't much like "half a hit" according to the guy... I took that on Nov. 3rd and I have a test on Nov. 28th... Would one time dose be detected on a hair follicle?
    Styles32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2013, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by infrequentuser View Post
    I got my results back earlier this week, I passed! Thanks for your info DrBill, not only were you right, you made me a lot less nervous about my results. Thanks!!!
    I am in a similar situation and am freaked out infrequent user... especially because I am reading concerning things about Psychemedics test specifically. Do you know what companys test you took?
    checkers1986 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
    Dr. Bill,

About a month and a half ago, I smoked 1 bowl 3 days in a row. Also, about 2 weeks ago, I smoked 2 bowls in one night. I know THC is "less detectable" in hair tests, but what are my chances of passing a hair test in the next week or so?
    SWIFTKNIFE Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 08:10 PM
    I need ADVICE BECAUSE IM FREAKING OUT!!

One
    Month and three days ago I took a few hits from a small pipe of pot. It
    Was mostly like 4 to 5 smalls puffs. That 1st week I got a haircut was the same time I smoked... Anyway, I just recently took a
    Hair drug test. I was wondering if the weed will show up positive on my
    Test because I just got this amazing offer with a company and cant
    Imagine of losing it right now. I don't even smoke and it was a one time
    Thing with friends. I workout almost every week two or three times for
    An hour or so. My body fat right now is like 8 to 10 percent and my
    Weight is 165. Im 22 years old and my metabolism high for me being in
    Good shape. Before taking the Hair Test my friends told me to buy a new
    Towel, comb, and this detox shampoo that's suppose to work. Well The next
    Morning I woke up around 6:45 am and followed the procedures my friends
    Gave me and was in the shower for one hour. Then I didn't touch my hair
    After getting out. Three hours go by and I take the test... Im really
    Scared of not passing the test and wanted to get everyone's opinion on
    It. Please comment!!
    jasontvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
    DrBill100,, I dident smoke cannabis for about 8 months had a long break from it, started smoking it again 4 months ago and smoke a 1 gram per day , I'm 5'11 have a high matabalism and short brown hair
    How long would you say it will take before ide pass a cannabis hair test ?

I look forward to your reply

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair Follicle Testing for Infrequent User [ 12 Answers ]

I was given a hair follicle test on 2/10/2011. The most recent time I smoke was the evening of 1/31/2011. It was from a bowl of which I only took about 3 or 4 hits. Before this I had not smoked since Nov 27, 2010 where again I smoke from a bowl just taking 3 or 4 hits. Before this incident I...

Will marinol cover my my marijuana use for a probation drug test? [ 3 Answers ]

I have marinol prescribed to me because of my side effects from adderal. I don't eat anything. I don't fall asleep till about 3am and wake up at 6am. I also have high anxiety from this. But marinol doesn't work I take 2.5mg twice a day. So sometimes I smoke weed because, it's the only thing that...

Does any presciption drug mimic marijuana on drug test? [ 8 Answers ]

Are there any presciption drugs that mimic marijuana on a pee test? Also, does eating asparagus have any impact since it is an alkaline vegetable? Thanks.

Can they drug test you for marijuana on non reporting probation in the state of Ohio? [ 8 Answers ]

I have non reporting probation for possession and paraphanilia. I just want to know if they can still test me for it on non reporting probation even if I am not on task.

View more questions Search