Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anonjohnanon Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 02:25 AM
    I have some Deleted files which still appear in desktop background and html files
    I have windows XP SP3

I have some Deleted files which (although no longer existing within "my documents") still appear in desktop background and html files.

These are files which were originally downloaded direct from internet onto usb "D" drive and hard disk "C and given file names". These files were subsequently deleted from the usb and C Drive afterwards. These files no longer exist on the computer anywhere.

However, when I go to control panel, display, browse, then down arrow within "files of type" I have 3 types. If I choose "background files" or "html documents" and then down arrow within "file names", I get a list of all those files (including all those on the usb "D" drive) which the computer had said did not exist on the computer. If I choose to open one of those files, the computer again says it does not exist.

How can I remove that fictitious list? It is a matter of importance for me to remove it asap.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 2, 2011, 03:01 AM

First off Control Panel > Display > Browse puts you in the display properties.

Where exactly are these ghost files?

Jan 3, 2011, 12:42 PM
    The ghost files show up exactly where I stated.

i.e. "when I go to "control panel",then "display", choose browse files, then down arrow within "files of type" I have 3 types. If I choose "background files" or "html documents" and then down arrow within "file names", I get a list of all those files (including all those on the usb "D" drive) which the computer had said did not exist on the computer. If I choose to open one of those files, the computer again says it does not exist"
    Networking Expert

Jan 3, 2011, 12:50 PM

I realize this. What I am asking is when you go to Control Panel > Display > What Tab are you browesing for? Theme, Desktop etc... when you click browse under these tabs you should receive another rpopup that has My Computer, My Documents etc... on the left and file name, file type on the bototm and looking on the top. What is listed in the looking box?

To me it sounds like an indexing issue but I can't be sure unless I know where these files are listed from.

Jan 4, 2011, 01:14 PM
    Thanks for replying. I should have mentioned Control Panel > Display >Desktop> which is the only place where you get the browse toggle bar, on the right hand side (middle of page downwards). Within the browser toggle bar, you see "file name" or "files of type" (at the bottom of thev page). If you click the down arrow of file names I see the list of files which should not appear because they were all deleted.
    Networking Expert

Jan 4, 2011, 01:31 PM
    Is it showing in box 1 or 2?
    Attached Images

Jan 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
    It is showing in your box 2

Jan 5, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Hi ITstudent

Do you understand what I am saying now? The list of unwanted (but "ghost" file names appear within your box 2. Are you able to help me sort it out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After erase the files in cd=rw I copy some small files but cd is full for that files [ 1 Answers ]

after erase the files in cd=rw I copy some small files but cd is full for that files what is the problem here how can I solve that please help me

Since upgrading to v 3.6 I can no longer get Firefox to open .html files. [ 1 Answers ]

Since upgrading to v3.6 I can no longer get my .html files to open in Firefox ! They work OK on Safari. I need to use this facility as a web developer to test my code before I go live. Can you suggest what to do ?

Looking for the information-where deleted files are stored after deleted from recycli [ 7 Answers ]

Well it's a tough one so ill try to explain the best I can When you delete a file it can be undelted with programs I'm not concerned with undeleting the file where is the information stored on my hard drive I'm looking for the information that tells the undeleter program what been deleted ...

Deleted files [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, let me know the possibility of retrieving files which were accidentally deleted,

Files won't show (html) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post... I am having trouble with my website, I can't seem to get all of the html files on my website to show, my website is at http://www.mytag.co.uk the index.html file shows and the download link works (also the file links work but none of the other links work. I have...

View more questions Search