Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Birk Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Choking feeling like food is stuck in my throat
    This seems to be happening every time I eat lunch at work. For example today I ordered a footlong sub at subway, after a little more than half way through the sandwich it feels like there is food stuck in the back of my throat. And its really annoying. Once I feel that I basically can throw up all my food very easily, its really weird. Chunks of my food will come out, and if I am drinking water with my meal that will all come up too. I feel that I have digestion problems already, like if if I have to burp while I am sitting down I have to lean forward to get the burp out. This is really bothering me, and I don't have medical insurance right now so I can't afford to see a dr. Any info would help please, I have searched Google, but there is no answers to this. Im not sure if its only when I sit down and eat, or it's the way I sit at work, but this doesn't happen when I eat dinner.. PLEASE HELP!!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 09:27 AM

You need to go to the doctor and get it diagnosed. Maybe you have an obstruction that would need medical attention.
    Get it diagnosed and let us know we might have some suggestions after we know what it is.
    If it is only happening at lunch I really have no idea.

Jul 24, 2009, 09:33 AM
    It has happened the last 3 days now, and I had chips every time. Im wondering if its something with the chips. But today I didn't eat many chips and its not as bad. I had tuna yesterday and chicken today. I just need to get to a dr, but being a contractor and not having insurance will give me bills like crazy that I can't afford. I do have problems digesting Bananas and Guacomale, its almost the same sensation in my throat. Any ideas?
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 09:38 AM

Yeah I have a hard time eating chips they seem to stick in my throat and like catch everything and keep them there.
    Give up the chips and see if it still happens before you call the doctors.

Jul 24, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Have you had a similar issue?
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 09:54 AM

Yes it sounds the same.
    My problem was mostly Pepsi and chips

Jul 24, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Did you go to the dr though? I hope its nothing serious. I used to think I had a problem with red meat too.. I really need to see a dr just to be safe
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2009, 10:48 AM

No I just quit eating chips and soda

If it keeps happening without eating chips then maybe you should go
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Birk View Post
    This seems to be happening everytime i eat lunch at work. For example today i ordered a footlong sub at subway, after a little more than half way through the sandwich it feels like there is food stuck in the back of my throat. And its really annoying. Once i feel that i basically can throw up all my food very easily, its really weird. Chunks of my food will come out, and if i am drinking water with my meal that will all come up too. I feel that i have digestion problems already, like if if i have to burp while i am sitting down i have to lean forward to get the burp out. This is really bothering me, and i dont have medical insurance right now so i can't afford to see a dr. Any info would help please, i have searched google, but there is no answers to this. Im not sure if its only when i sit down and eat, or its the way i sit at work, but this doesnt happen when i eat dinner.. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Your symptoms are worrisome, especially if you are losing weight or getting " full" after just a few bites. A problem with your esophagus [ gerd , narrowing, barrett's etc.. ] or your stomach [ ulcer, narrowing ] is of concern and you should be evaluated by a doctor.
    If you have any black or tarry stools you should go to the ER

In the meantime:
    If you smoke - quit
    If you drink alcohol - stop
    Reduce caffeine [ soda, tea, coffee]
    Reduce fatty and spicy food in your diet
    Eat smalller meals [ more frequently ]

I wish you well

G&P
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2009, 07:56 PM

That's interesting to know.
    I made cheesecake today and was eating a piece and same thing happened again.
    I never heard of Barretts.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 26, 2009, 08:05 PM

Barrett's Esophagus Treatments, Diagnosis, Symptoms- Barrett?s Esophagus ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 08:23 PM
    I have the very same problem. For me it was GERD. Nexium cleared it right up.
    KathyL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 06:11 AM
    Last night I started choking in a restaurant when I got too long of piece of meat on my first bite. I tried to chew it up but it started to choke me so I spit out what I could into a napkin. Just as I realized I could not swallow what was left I made a deep wheezing sucking sound and then coughed up the rest. After that, I felt that my chest was heavy and that I was breathing like I was tired. My throat was cleared and I ate dinner but felt tired. I know it really scared me and my husband and the waiter. We went shopping and I had some sense of needing to cough but nothing came out. When I got home, I tried deep breathing exhalations bent over, coughing with force bent over, and sleeping on my side. This morning I can breathe without coughing but it feels like pressure on my chest. Should I go to the ER or wait till Monday to see my doctor if it continues? It is not terrible but I do not feel energetic and have no desire to speak above a whisper. A big bite of a gyro sandwich.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weird feeling in throat & tonsils [ 2 Answers ]

I've never had this happen before but my throat had been bothering my for a few days now. It feels like there's something stuck in my throat which makes it feel weird to breathe. I looked at my tonsils and one of them has a white patch on it and one is lower than the other. I'm going to visit my...

Collapsed trachea and choking on food connected? [ 2 Answers ]

My 5 year old chihuahua/poodle suffers from a collapsed trachea. She is normally OK but she does have her fits. She has started choking on food or treats. She has not choked on her regular dog food that I know of but I am not always in the room when she eats. I know that people food is not the...

Paper stuck in throat [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was eating a sub from subway and thought it tasted weird only to discover that when I was almost finished with the sub that I was eating paper that was inside the sub. Now I feel paper stuck in my throat causing my mouth and to feel dry. I visited the fire department and the paramedics...

Stuck in the back of my THROAT? [ 11 Answers ]

Yesturday I was eating popcorn at my friends house. After that it felt like there was a piece of the popcorn (the hard shell part) stuck in the back of my throat. I kept drinking water and it still feels like it's there. It started right after I ate popcorn. It just feels like something's back...

View more questions Search