Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain...
    We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the joint is leaking. All this was replaced in 1998 including the plastic p-trap... after that there is the rubber clamp to the old galv pipe... Another slight problem... over time the screen mounted in this hub has corroded and while trying to remove, the screws broke off and I used some wood screws to hold the new screen down. So replacement of the entire hub assy is desired, if possible. How do you fix this? Do you remove the grout around the floor hub in the stall and then pull it from below or what? What else holds it in place? Do you have to tear up the tile floor? Any help would be appreciated... thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 21, 2006, 10:27 AM
    Hey Tim,

Why tear up the tile floor when the leak can be repaired under the floor?

"Another slight problem... over time the screen mounted in this hub has corroded and while trying to remove, the screws broke off and I used some wood screws to hold the new screen down. So replacement of the entire hub assy is desired, if possible. How do you fix this?"

What I would do if the broken screws were a problem is to drill them out and replace the strainer with a snap in strainer,(see image).
    This way you will save both time, material and labor. Sound like a plan?
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

Tile floor shower drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 65 year-old Spanish style house and I have a Tile floor shower drain leaking problem. When I apply silicon around the connection of drain and tile, it temporally stop the leak, however. A couple of weeks later, it leaks again. Any advise or recommendation of a handyman will be greatly...

My drain pipe is leaking from my shower stall! [ 3 Answers ]

Okay here's the situation. I have a basement shower stall that is leaking water onto the basement floor on the other side of the bathroom. What this is doing is causing some mold on the wood frame on the other side of the wall. At first I thought it was the drain itself that was leaking and I...

Leaking tiled shower seat [ 8 Answers ]

A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down...

Leaking Shower Drain Tile Floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I purchased this house two years ago and at that point the stand up shower had some sort of sealant that was placed in a very sloppy manner around the drain. However the home inspector said it was OK although to me it looked like something to worry about. Well now I have a leak bad enough to...

View more questions Search