Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclejohnny Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

May 1, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition Problems
    I have downloaded this game, upgraded sound and video cards and drivers, have downgraded from WIN 2000 Professional to WIN ME, have downloaded December 2005 DirectX update, and this game will still crash when I try to run it. Before I downgraded from 2000 pro to ME, it would say; "DirectX init. failed" Now it will show the title movie, then go to main windows screen with hourglass and "loading, please wait" on the screen, but then it just quits running. Any info would be appreciated. I am a big Star Trek fan and need help ASAP! Thank you all for your help. :D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 1, 2006, 08:26 AM
    I'm assuming you downloaded it from the distributor's or developer's site, have you tried getting any tech support from them?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 1, 2006, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejohnny
    I have downloaded this game
    That'll be your reason right there.
    More than likely its copyright protection that stops this exact thing happening.

Now please don't ask us how to make your ILLEGAL game work.
    If you are having problems then I suggest going out and BUYING a legal version. Then at least you'll have access to the game makers tech support.

May 1, 2006, 08:39 AM
    I bought the game at a restaurant where I used to work, I can't download on my home computer because I don't have internet. I downloaded the game from the actual CD and I still have the original box for it. On my computer, when you put something on from any source; internet(if I had it), music CD, game CD, driver CD, whatever; it says; "Downloading, please wait." Or is that the wrong term for this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unclejohnny
    I bought the game at a restaurant where I used to work, I can't download on my home computer because I don't have internet. I downloaded the game from the actual CD and I still have the original box for it. On my computer, when you put something on from any source; internet(if I had it), music CD, game CD, driver CD, whatever; it says; "Downloading, please wait." Or is that the wrong term for this?
    Yes downloading is the wrong term. Download means to copy something from a remote computer to your local PC. That's why Need and Ben assumed (validly) that you were downloading an illegal copy from a web site.

This program says its for Win 95/98. It may not run on Win Me.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2006, 08:44 AM
    I don't recall that Windows prompt coming up when you put in a CD. Usually, if you haven't disabled it, you'll get a dialog box asking you what you want to do with the CD. Or else autorun may kick in and give you an installation screen. If you have no hook up to the internet then how do you get all the Windows Updates (including correct DirectX version)?

May 1, 2006, 09:04 AM
    I went to a computer store that told me to go to the manufacturers websites and contact their customer support, which I did, the manufacturer sites gave me the address and the correct downloads that I burned on CDR and then installed on my computer.
    Uber Member

May 1, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Perhaps you just got the patches for the game. You'll need the DirectX updates and maybe some Windows Updates. You may need to hook that PC up to the Internet to get them.

May 4, 2006, 02:52 PM
    I got the patches and the April 2006 Direct X Updates, but the game still will not play, it is still doing the same thing. Maybe there is a WINME update that I need, but the disk is (supposedly) already got the updates on it. I don't know. Is there any way to delete the newer version of DirectX to downgrade to the version that came on the game's CD?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Investing in gold [ 12 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying gold bullion as protection against some sort of possible disaster which might befall the United States. I don't wish to be stuck with nearly valueless paper currency if that happens. How as a beginner could I get the best value for my money. I realize that the value of gold...

Any Star Trek fans on here? [ 17 Answers ]

Just curious to know if there are any Star Trek fans on here, or if you are close to anyone who's a major fan. I've never noticed much posted about Star Trek in the Television and Movies sections, so I was just wondering. I would say I personally enjoy watching the shows, all except Enterprise,...

Determing whether something is truly gold? [ 4 Answers ]

Archimedes, a famous Greek scientist, was given a problem by King Hieron II of Syracuse (Sicily). The kind suspected that his crown, which was supposed to be made of pure gold, contained some silver alloy, and he asked Archimedes to prove or disprove his suspicion. (It turned out that the crown...

Dos Command Window [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Friends, I have scheduled a batch file to start of in the night. I want to see the DOS window to remain open and not close after execution. I want this this to check the next morning if all the actions went OK. Is there any command that can keep the DOS screen open till I close. Thanks...

View more questions Search