Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feinwoman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2009, 07:42 PM
    How to train my chocolate labrador
    Hello, I have an 8 month old chocolate labrador. He's very difficult to train. He voids and moves his bowels in his crate/and or in the house, and then, he steps all over it. He's extremely hyperactive, clumsy, and he still chews on furniture. I don't know what to do. I work approximately 12 hours a day, therefore, he's alone a great deal of time. I really don't want to give him up for adoption, but his behavior is out of control. Please help me.
    Thank you.
    jorgen182 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Apr 15, 2009, 08:47 PM

Labradors need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Most of his behavior problems are more your fault than his. I don't mean to be rude, I am just laying out the facts.

Labradors are very intelligent dogs and are very easy to train. I work 12 hour shifts so when I get home it's all about my Labrador Puppy Nala. She is 4 months old and is already house trained, sits, lays down, rolls over, and is getting better at not tugging on her leash.

It took me a long time to find Nala something that she liked to chew on. Finally I used pig ears (Labs go absolutley crazy for them) and then substitute that with a large hide bone when I am not around. Chewing is a big way for dogs to relieve stress. You need to praise him when he chews the right things. Let him know how proud you are of him when he chews something acceptable.

Dogs have to go potty after they play, drink, eat, have a nap, just like we do. He doesn't want to have that behavior. Labs are very eager to please. They want nothing more in the world but to please their master.

Tell me what you do with him on a daily basis and on your days off. Labradors need a good two hours of excersise at least every other day at the minimum, even letting them outside to sniff around and smell new things is like us staring at a beautiful sunset.

A happy dog is a good dog. I am here to help. I love labs.

-jorgen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unsweetened baking chocolate vs. Cooking chocolate [ 2 Answers ]

Chocolate crinkle american recipe calls for unsweetened baking chocolate but can't find any in australia. Is "cooking chocolate" which looks like milk chocolate make much difference? Should I use dark chocolate or just cut the 2 cups of granulated sugar also required in the recipe?:rolleyes: ...

Trying to house train our labrador puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Our 3 month old labrador puppy is having a hard time becoming house trained. We take him out very often, especially right whenever he wakes up in the morning or from a nap. If its nice outside we put him on a chain for a little while so he can play outside, but as soon as he gets back in he will...

Labrador won't eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old black female labrador. We went on vacation for a week and she went to boarding kennels - she's been before. We've been back a week now. She seems perfectly happy, bouncy and joyful but she hasn't eaten a thing in three days - should I be concerned?

About a Labrador [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have just adopted an adult yellow labrador retriever mix from the Humane Society. We haven't brought him home yet, but we will be next weekend. I'm not sure what else he's mixed with, but he is more than 50% lab as they have guessed too. My question is... he hasn't been properly...

Labrador pup [ 3 Answers ]

I have an eight weeks old labrador pup. Can someone tell me what is the right quantity of food an eight week ol pup requires?

View more questions Search