Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missmara89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Am I going to jail?
    I'm 17 years old and I worked for a small baby store . I was the manager if the store for about 5 months during those five momths I was taking money from the till, I wanted to pay it off but it got ot late and I was fired , and I was fired last week and I was suppose to come up with 7,500 but Friday at noon , but can't not , so she is going to lay charges.. what do you think I will face?

My first crime made , and what I took was 5,000 but she is charging me with 7,500
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:08 PM
    What do you mean, you haven't been charged yet? That amount of money is a chargeable offense even for a first time offender. When did this happen. You are aren't telling us enough to even get started answering. School reports are really small potatoes to this.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:22 PM
    You're lucky you aren't at least in custody now. That sounds ( 7500 ) like more than loose change.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Hello miss:

You're a juvenile. You probably won't go to jail.

excon
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2007, 09:49 PM
    What is wrong with you? Why did you have the need to steal $5000.00 Was it to take care of an ailing parent or something? You did not state the reason for the theft even though no reason would be valid but it would explain why you did it. If you took the money for no reason other than because you could do it, then you are very lucky that you are even alive. There are people who have been killed for less. You are setting your parents up to be held responsible for the money you have stolen. Since you are a minor, she can sue your parents. After you turn 18, she can turn around and sue you. Or she can wait until you turn 18 to sue you. You should be in the process of writing a letter of apology to this person. And you should be very ashamed of yourself for doing something like this. I am a mother and I would be very disappointed if any one of my children did something like this. You state its your first crime but after you wrote that you should have wrote and this is my last crime. You should be trying to contact members of your family so that someone can try to pay this person back. She has to feed her family also. You should have been more responsible.

Jun 21, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Well, in this instance, I don't care. I don't see why a teenager needs to steal that amount of money.
    incognito Posts: 92, Reputation: 24

Jun 21, 2007, 11:28 PM
    I have no idea what will happen to you. I think that you will have court fines/restitution, probably community service hours, and probation.
    Just please learn from your mistake, you are much too young to be starting your life going the wrong way.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 02:17 AM
    I am confused, this isn't the post I answered. It has been changed.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 02:50 AM
    Get an attorney. Pay for him or her. You probably won't be put in jail. But, that all depends on what your attorney can negotiate for you.
    Christos Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nya
    What is wrong with you? Why did you have the need to steal $5000.00 Was it to take care of an ailing parent or something? You did not state the reason for the theft even though no reason would be valid but it would explain why you did it. If you took the money for no reason other than because you could do it, then you are very lucky that you are even alive. There are people who have been killed for less. You are setting your parents up to be held responsible for the money you have stolen. Since you are a minor, she can sue your parents. After you turn 18, she can turn around and sue you. Or she can wait until you turn 18 to sue you. You should be in the process of writing a letter of apology to this person. And you should be very ashamed of yourself for doing something like this. I am a mother and I would be very disappointed if any one of my children did something like this. You state its your first crime but after you wrote that you should have wrote and this is my last crime. You should be trying to contact members of your family so that someone can try to pay this person back. She has to feed her family also. You should have been more responsible.

Its none of your damn business why he stole it. He didn't come here to be judged you idiot, he came for help. Oh you're a mother? Who cares, go be annoying somewhere else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 06:27 PM
    No one cares why you stole it, court won't care either.

If you don't pay them back in full NOW, you will be charged, if you are lucky, very lucky, you will get probation till you pay back all of the money, plus most likely several thousand in fines.

They may send you to a boot camp then probation, or you could end up serving several years in prison.

At 17 most likely they will try you as an adult.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    I am confused, this isnt the post I answered. It has been changed.
    Frequently the OP comes in and edits their post. This may have been what happened in this case.

Jun 24, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Christos
    its none of your damn business why he stole it. he didnt come here to be judged you idiot, he came for help. Oh you're a mother? who cares, go be annoying somewhere else.
    Like I said before, I don't care if he came here for legal advice. It's not acceptable behavior and I am going to give my opinion no matter who likes it or not! It's MY opinion.
    bowlday Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
    First offence don't think jail but you will have to pay it back and a lot of probation and most likely a lot of hours of communtiy service also have a good lawyer plan on spending about 1500 or better for that and pray. Oh yea tell lawyer to look for a plea agreement sure he will suggest that
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 25, 2007, 05:18 PM
    First of all, at your age and for a first offense, it's not likely that you'll go to jail, at least not for any length of time. Now, about the discrepancy you claim exists, where you admit to stealing $5,000 but she claims $7,500, what evidence do each of you have to support your respective claims? Keep in mind that the burden of proof rests with the prosecution so there's more onus on her to prove $7,500 than there is on you to prove $5,000. Have you attempted to negotiate any arrangement to make restitution? Say perhaps $100 per month until it's paid off? If you indicate a willingness to do this the judge is likely to look upon your case much more favorably and show you some mercy.
    jeremy4719 Posts: 136, Reputation: 4

Jun 25, 2007, 06:57 PM
    I'd say since you are 17 you will be spending thefew months or so in Juvenille detention center at worst... Most likely though, you will be doing community service and working for free to pay your debt for the next several years... Most places anything over $300 is a fellony... So even it is your first offense, you still will be handed a pretty tough penalty (prison not likely though because of age and 1st offfense)...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jail time [ 1 Answers ]

How much time must somebody serve for a sentence robbery with a dangerous weapon he go 20 yrs 11 suspended and its under Maryland article section subsection 3-403 how many years must he do and on a use of a handgun in commission/ felony 5years under article section subsection 4-204 I need to know...

Jail sentencing [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a court date on Valentine's Day. He's going because of vandalism, avoiding a cop, and for fighting with other guys... a lot... He told me that he could be going to jail for a year or paying a $2,000 fine. That seems kind of extreme. Is he right?

I'm 18 but she's 16, can I go to jail? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, here's the deal. I'm 18 years old and my girlfriend is 16. We're head over hills in love with one another. She's MUCH more mature than most 16 year olds, BUT her parents hate me. They've only met me once and I SWEAR I was just as polite as can be. They have NO right to dislike me. I'm...

Jail [ 2 Answers ]

I Was arested about a year and a half ago. The police came to my house I came out and they ended up taking me to jail. The news paper said That they found me sleeping on the bed next to a hand gun. Iam a ex-con, how ever the police report says that I came out peacefully witch it the truth. Can I do...

Jail Sentencing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a friend who is in jail. She was put on an ACD in April of last year (for a year) for beating up her sister, because her sister pressed charges against her. But in November she broke her ACD by beating up her sister again and was sent to jail. She has been in there ever since (4 months)....

View more questions Search