Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    basscampers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2019, 10:12 AM
    Pipes freeze in cold weather
    When it gets really cold outside, our hot water freezes in part of the house. I've installed foam board, insulation around the pipes, everything I can think of. It seems to freeze right at the metal elbow. Our pipes are mainly plastic but the elbows are metal. What else can I do to prevent this from happening every year?

Thanks so much.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 1, 2019, 01:10 PM
    Heating tape,

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...heating-cables
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2019, 06:05 AM
    Assume you are already doing this, but be sure to leave a little water running, especially on the hot side in your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What temperature will pipes freeze at or become a problem? [ 1 Answers ]

For the winter we keep our lowest thermostate heat setting on 55 and I want to change it to 50 but my husband says that he heard if any lower than 55 the pipes can freeze or burst. Is this true or simply an old wives tale? What would be the least temperature with the least amount of worry? We...

Will pipes freeze with just my gas fireplace on? [ 1 Answers ]

I have forced hot air and my thermostat keeps shutting off so no heat is coming out of vents, thermostat is brand new and battteries were changed. But my gas fireplace works. Was wondering what it could be and if my pipes would freeze with just the fireplace running

Will water pipes freeze if weather is 30 degrees outside [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace is not working today, inside temp 60 degrees but outside to get down to 20 or 30 tonight. Will I have to worry about pipes freezing?? Can't fix furnace until tomorrow

Frozen pipes in cold weather [ 1 Answers ]

Due to cold weather (I presume) when I turned on the tap yesterday no hot water came out, even though heat was on for hours and immersion tank was hot. But cold water was running fine. After a half hour hot water started running, but today same thing happened and this time hot water did not start...

Pipes freeze in winter time [ 1 Answers ]

I have a set of pipes in my bathroom that are subject to freezing in the wintertime due to a home addition which allows air to access space in the walls. We tried adding insulation to the outside wall where the air comes in but it is not enough. The pipes are accessible through a drop panel and...

View more questions Search