Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ber28mas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Furnace blower
    My Trane (model# TUX080C942C1) direct drive frunace blower motor became hot after a few minutes of runtime. I could smell the odor of warm insulation through the register vents. The motor was running but it didn't seem to be up to speed. The squirrel cage turns freely. This unit is only 8 years old. Could the motor have gone out so soon?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Blower motors can go bad at anytime. Would suggest you get it checked out as heating up is a sign that it's going to fail shortly.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:15 AM
    If you have a clamp on amp meter you can see how many amps the motor is drawing when the prob. Is there,, then compare to what the tag says its supposed to be drawing. If it's the factory motor you should find the info on the id plate, if not look on side of the motor
    ber28mas Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2008, 09:34 AM
    Thank you twinkiedooter and wmproop for your suggestions. It was the blower motor.
    A note to all members: The OEM blower motor on some residential furnaces may be a 4 speed but your furnace usually only uses 2, one speed for heating and one for cooling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace blower [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any benefit to having the blower fan on your furnace continuously run?

Furnace blower [ 3 Answers ]

I have an intertherm central air/heat unit. The ac works fine. All of a sudden today the heater will come on but the fan won't blow. If I turn it on run the fan does, but on auto it doesn't. It still works fine when the ac unit is on.

Blower in furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Bryant furnace around 25 years old. Working fine till the other day. Heater comes on but the blower continues to run when the heat goes off. Turn off furnace @ thermostat & blower keeps running. Need to go down & hit off the main switch by the heater. Turn the heater back on & it seems to run OK...

Furnace Blower [ 3 Answers ]

Two months ago I noticed furnace blower would switch off after being on a couple of minutes. Once I heard some humming, thought it was the motor. Had a techinician diagnose it, he said it was the blower motor, a $400 repair. I pulled it out myself, took it to a electric motor shop. They put...

Furnace blower? [ 3 Answers ]

This morning my furnace in the attic was making some weird sounds. By lunch time the was a burning smell through my vents. At lunch time no heat was blowing through my vents in the house. I turned the a/c on and still nothing. My unit outside is working fine too. What do you think it could be?

View more questions Search