Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    user1753 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2009, 10:08 AM
    restitution
    I have been convicted of mischief under 5000 x 28 (or something like that). I am currently serving out a on year term of house arrest and 150 hours of community service. There is a standalone restitution order(s) in the amount of $13000, but when the justice issued my sentence he said it would be $26000 and I have individual copies of each order and the amount does in fact come out to be $26000. I have been making payments and when I go to the courthouse to do so the total restitution that they have on file is $13000. I have mentioned this to the courthouse and they verify that I owe $13000 and my lawyer also verifies this. I plan on applying to the Canadian Forces at the end of my house arrest and I have spoken to recruiting officers about applying with a criminal record and a restitution order and have been told that my applicaton will not be considered if I have any outstanding legal obligations(house arrest) or restitution orders. So, I plan on having the $13000 paid off by the end of my house arrest but when they check my record are they going to see that I owed $13000 or $26000?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by user1753 View Post
    but when they check my record are they going to see that I owed $13000 or $26000?
    Hello user:

I don't know. My bet would be that they'll see the court record and nothing more. Before I paid another $13K, though, I'd take the chance that it won't show. If it does, pay it and join up.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 11:06 AM

Explain what expenses were to be covered by the $13000 resitution. Did you and your lawyer ask why the judge said $26K when he sentenced you?

Dec 23, 2009, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. The restitution is damages to personal property (cars), the total dollar amount of damages was $52000 which was split in half between the co-accused an myself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2009, 01:42 PM

It sounds like a error in paper work, they may find it when you go to pay off, or they may never find it. BUT, they may find it in 2 years when you are starting to change your life around.Best bet, get your attorney to straighten it out properly and start with a clean slate

Dec 24, 2009, 01:55 PM

As I understand it, yes probably an error in paperwork. Each person involved would have received a copy of the damages to their own property. So there is $26000 in debt floating around but I'm most concerned with what the background check that the military is going to perform will turn up. Are they going to see what the courthouse sees or will they see each individual order?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Decrease on restitution [ 9 Answers ]

I am ordered to pay restitution, however the amount per month is too high for me, due to my small income. Can the amount be changed through court

Restitution in canada [ 6 Answers ]

Over 15 years ago I was charged with theft over 1000 in the province of PEI, I was sentenced to serve weekends (I was 18 and still in hightschool)and pay 10,000 dollars restitution for something I never did ( should have choose my friends more carefully) anyway I did the time but never paid the 10...

Modification of restitution? [ 5 Answers ]

I was charged with 487b3 felony in California back in 1995. (I was 20yrs old at the time) I did probation and was given restitution for 20k. I have been paying it down for the last 13 years and about to hit 10k. I was wondering if there was a way to request a modification or something for the...

Restitution [ 7 Answers ]

My husband was charged with theft, stealing from a department store. The case is nearly finished and now they are saying he owes restitution for the items he tried to steal. He thinks that he shouldn't have to pay for the items since they never left the store and the store would have been able to...

View more questions Search