Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbharvey12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Is tile bullnose baseboard installed before or after floor tile?
    My porcelain tile comes with a bullnose that I want to use as the baseboard. I found a response to another question, stating that the floor should be installed first, but I want a grout line between the floor tile and the baseboard, it would be very hard to make it uniform if the floor is installed first. Any thoughts; what is the standard practice?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Do you mean bull nose or cove base? Cove base can be installed on top of the floor tile or set flush. Usually installed on top to cover cut edge of the floor tile. Looks real nice installed flush but you have to make precise cuts of the last piece of floor tile, usually with a saw.

Aug 2, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Do you mean bull nose or cove base? Cove base can be installed on top of the floor tile or set flush. Usually installed on top to cover cut edge of the floor tile. Looks real nice installed flush but you have to make precise cuts of the last piece of floor tile, usually with a saw.

It is bullnose, without the curve of a cove trim.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 08:17 PM
    I am not sure yet we are talking about the right thing. A bullnose has a 90 degree curve along its top edge, a cove base is pretty similar but usually different size. Whatever it is the floor tile goes first. You are welcome to try it base first but you will need totally perfect cutting skills to make the job look perfect. Cove hides the imperfections of your cuts. It's a bit like quarter round used be sloppy carpet guys who rely on the quarter round covering the errors.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 08:24 PM
    If it is just bull nose, rounded top edge, square bottom edge, you definitely want the floor down first.

Aug 3, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Thank you both for your responses. Yes, it is just the rectangular bullnose with the sloped top.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Let us know how your project progresses. Tiling is one of my better skills.
    apexstone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 01:38 AM

We're just the professional tile supplier in this field, Stone China: Marble Granite Countertop Slab Marble Tile Granite Vanity Top..
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2009, 05:46 PM

In order to maintain an even grout line between floor and baseboard, use palstic spacers. These can be removed after tile sets.

The spacers come in various sizes. If possible use caulking the same color as grout. If grout is used in the corner, it may crack because of movement.

Good luck

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I use cut floor tile for a tile baseboard? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I laid down 13"by13" tile for my bathroom floor, and it looks pretty good. I have enough tile left over to make a tile baseboard. The width could be anywhere from 3 inches to 6.5 inches. What would be best? Would the finish edge at the top look strange? How could I make it look best? ...

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Converting a tile floor to a stained concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am thinking about taking up the tile in my kitchen and staining the concrete underneath it, but I don't know if it will be possible to get up all the stains left on the concrete from the tile. I do not want to take up the tile if there is too much of a possibility that the tile stains won't come...

Ceramic Tile Baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am putting in a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom and plan on cutting the tiles and using them for a baseboard. Is there a correct size that this baseboard should be? And should I put anything on the top edge of the tile to finish it off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search