Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    easeful Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 05:03 AM
    Shower Trap
    We just moved into a new house. While crawling through the crawl space on an unrelated issue I noticed that one of the drain lines was leaking.

Further inspection showed that the shower in the master bath does not have a trap. Instead the pipe drops about 24 inches straight down (very noisy shower btw) to a joint that is about an 80 degree turn. The pipe then runs about 8 foot uphill to the main drain line. There appears to be a cleanout beside this 24 inch drop and this is what is leaking.

My question: The plumber is coming to repair the leak. Am I right to insist that he also install a trap on the drain and reroute the shower drain line in such a way that it is a downhill run to the main drain line? There's room to do this, it'll just take more pvc.

Thanks,

Easeful
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Code MANDTES that every fixture be trapped. No exceptions! If your shower isn't trapped then you have a direct open line from your home to the sewer allowing sewer gas to enter. Sewer gas is harmful to your families health and the methane content makes it explosive.

"My question: The plumber is coming to repair the leak. Am I right to insist that he also install a trap on the drain and reroute the shower drain line in such a way that it is a downhill run to the main drain line? There's room to do this, it'll just take more pvc."

Yes,by all means have this ,really stupid, screw up brought up to code. Good luck, Tom
    easeful Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2006, 11:06 AM
    Thanks Tom, I thought that was the answer but I needed the voice of an expert to back me up.

Next problem... the contractor is sending the same lowlife who did this (apparently to save the cost of a trap fitting and 3 foot of pvc) out to make the repairs. ::sigh::

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower P-trap question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Should the 2 pieces of the shower p trap be in the same plan ? In order to align the p trap with the 2" drain pipe I will need a 135 angle between them. I'd like if possible to avoid one of those short 90 ABS ells. Thanks, Frank

Shower p-trap - concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I have already poured a 6 inch thick concrete slab for a shop floor. During the slab construction a 3 inch pvc rough stubbed drain was put in the concrete to act as the shower drain (from the shower to the septic tank line). I realized after the fact that no p-trap was placed within the slab; only...

2nd Floor Shower Trap [ 1 Answers ]

I found this message on this forum https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=4331&highlight=RUNNING+SHOWER+TRAP I have the same issue I need to trap a 2nd floor shower (floor joists 2x8) so I want to know if I can do this thing called the running "U" trap and how I build one. I want to run...

Shower / slab / where is the P Trap? [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing a (walk out) basement bathroom with a slab foundation. The bathroom drains were installed when the house was built, and I have been doing really well until the shower was next in line. The shower drain is a 2" pvc drain protruding up through a cynderblock that was layed in the slab...

Shower trap [ 4 Answers ]

I read that a dap out (14" x 14" opening) in the foundation slab Is used to access the tub trap. Is a dap out area also used For the shower trap ? Thanks, Lee

View more questions Search