Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevin rodriguez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Height requirements for power lines on a residential utility pole
    What are the height requirements for the power lines on a utility pole in a residential area?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Here is the text of the NEC 2008 Code:

225.18 Clearance for Overhead Conductors and Cables.
    Overhead spans of open conductors and open multiconductor cables of not over 600 volts, nominal, shall have a clearance of not less than the following:

(1) 3.0 m (10 ft) — above finished grade, sidewalks, or from any platform or projection from which they might be reached where the voltage does not exceed 150 volts to ground and accessible to pedestrians only.

(2) 3.7 m (12 ft) — over residential property and driveways, and those commercial areas not subject to truck traffic where the voltage does not exceed 300 volts to ground.

(3) 4.5 m (15 ft) — for those areas listed in the 3.7-m (12-ft) classification where the voltage exceeds 300 volts to ground.

(4) 5.5 m (18 ft) — over public streets, alleys, roads, parking areas subject to truck traffic, driveways on other than residential property, and other land traversed by vehicles, such as cultivated, grazing, forest, and orchard.

Apply the correct height to your application.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Height of electrical boxes in pole barns [ 1 Answers ]

My son and I have installed a pole barn to be utilized as a garage for the hobby of restorating cars. The electrician has installed a panel box and we want to run lines and mount boxes. How high from the cement floor should the boxes be mounted on the wall?

NEC requirements for C.A.C. Supply lines [ 3 Answers ]

I'm running electric in a house for central air and here's my situation: 2 air handlers in the attic, 2 compressors outside. I want to make sure my work is to code. I know I need separate dedicated branch circuits for each of the 4 appliances. 1) For the air handlers, do I need to run...

Loud 'clack' from a utility pole [ 2 Answers ]

Hi; I happened to be walking past a water intake facility next to a small river today. There is a small building which houses the pumps and probably filtering elements. As I passed beneath the electric utility lines feeding the facility, there was first a loud "whirring" like a motor running,...

Hook up hot & cold lines and drain to garage utility sink next to clothes washer [ 1 Answers ]

I desire to hook up a utility sink nedst to the existing clothes washer in an enclosed garage area. The washer has existing hot and cold supply lines coming from the wall with a ¾” brass bibb. Can I, and if so, how, can I connect hot and cold lines to the utility sink. It has a standard type...

Chimney Height Requirements [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having a new chimney built and I understand the 2-10-3 rule regarding height. But I don't know if I'm allowed to include a chimney cap as part of the measurement. Any help appreciated.

View more questions Search