Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    judeleon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Can a child be adopted without bioloical fathers consent
    I have been married to my husband for 6 years.he has been father to my two children aged 16 and 13 for this time.My ex husband has not paid a penny towards my children for 7 years and as we now live in spain he only sees the children maybe once or twice a year when I take them back to england for a holiday.He rarely phones them at all.My children want my husband to adopt them both and I would like to know is there an age limit when they can give their own consent for this to be possible
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 23, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Nope.

You have to get him to sign away his parental rights, or prove to a court that he deserves to have them severed.

Most of the time, going after child support and back child support, with the option that if he signs away his rights for an adoption to go through will get people to sign over their rights quick enough.

I would start by contacting a family law attorney, if I were you, and see how they tell you to proceed.
    keeda Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 10:53 PM
    I don't understand why mothers want to make their "new husbands" the father to their children. He didn't make them!
    These children should grow up knowing for whatever reasons their birth father is not around but still loves them. Changing a name will not be a quick fix!! These children will grow into adults with unanswered questions of who they are... and will need the biological father to be there for these answers. These children can assume this mans last name... isn't that enough? When I make something ,I love to have my name stamped on it... no matter where it shows up, it's mine... and no one has the right to take it away from me.
    Why do people think they have the right to take this right away from other's? I believe it to be spiteful.
    db923 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 11:02 PM
    You are right, It is spiteful in our families situation. I just pray... In a lot of cases it may be OK, but sometimes it is for Spite...
    GothicRomance Posts: 54, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 07:12 AM
    judeleon, try not to let others get to you. If you can get your kids father to terminate his rights so that your husband can adopt them (especially if they want it) then by all means kudos to you. Fatherhood is not a right it is a privilege and one that should be taken seriously. Plus, a termination of rights is NOT saying that this man is not the biological father but rather that he doesn't have a right to make decisions about your children's religion, health care, schooling, etc. I am adopted and I know that I have a biological family but they are not the ones that raised and loved me my whole life. There is a difference between a man that contributed half the DNA and a father... a DAD.

If you, your children (who are plenty old enough to know who their bio is and who their dad is) and your husband feel it is best, then go for it. If it is worth it to fight for this, then you should. I am.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changing last name of child without consent [ 11 Answers ]

In Iowa, can a custodial parent change the last name of a child to her current spouse's last name without the non-custodial parent's consent? In doing so, does the non-custodial parent still have to pay child support if the minor has the last name of her step-father?

Adoption with out fathers consent in Florida while father is in jail [ 2 Answers ]

I have a friend who is in jail. He was pretty wild for a while but has straightened up and works for us on a work release program. He has 3 more months to serve for violation of probation of driving with no license(on a old charge)and then he is done. Soon after he went to jail he found out his ...

To tell or not tell the child they are adopted [ 23 Answers ]

We have young children but as they grow older I am concerned whether we should tell them they are adopted or hope they do not discover. My cousin who is older than I stll feels she is bio yet the family knows different. What are your thoughts

Is it hard to be an adopted child? [ 3 Answers ]

If you've been adopted, is it hard to hear it your "parents" tell you you're adopted & how do you cope with it?:confused:

Can a baby be put on adpotion without fathers consent? [ 2 Answers ]

A really good friend of mine got his ex-girlfriend pregnant, he just found out she had the baby on 02/08/07. Her brother told him a family from california was going to adopt him and was picking him up saturday night, can she put him up for adoption without his permission? Hes not here legally...

View more questions Search