Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mxer108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Battery operated 220v motor
    Iwould like to see if there is any possible way toget a 220volt motor powered by a series of heavy duty batteries maybe even lithium ion batteries
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Oct 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Just use a 12 Volt Dc-Ac 220 Volt inverter, and take enough batteries in series to feed the inverter. Make sure the power capacity of the inverter is sufficient to feed the motor.

Success !

:)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 06:40 PM
    "220v" is all well and good, but how big is the motor??
    "220v" only tells us the voltage of the motor.

If it is a 2hp motor then you will need a huge inverter just to get the motor started.

I have never seen a 12v to 240v inverter. Are they even made?
    Where are you located?
    -

Oct 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    "220v" is all well and good, but how big is the motor???
    "220v" only tells us the voltage of the motor.If it is a 2hp motor then you will need a huge inverter just to get the motor started.I have never seen a 12v to 240v inverter. Are they even made?
    I have one. It's a normal shop item here.
    Higher power inverters require 24 Volt Dc input (from 400+ VA).
    Check that the inverter is (or can be adjusted to) 60c/s for the US.
    Also remember that a motor under load demands more power than a stationary.

EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Oct 29, 2008, 07:10 PM

With all the losses in an inverter you don't even want to think of running a 2hp motor from an inverter! With no losses at all you would need 125 amps at 12 volts to get 2hp. That doesn't get it started or deal with any conversion losses, which are significant. You would be MUCH farther ahead getting a DC motor that you could run directly from your batteries.
    -

Oct 29, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by EPMiller View Post
    With all the losses in an inverter you don't even want to think of running a 2hp motor from an inverter!
    Modern inverters have an efficiency of near 90%.
    Note that mxer108 never mentioned any HP requirement. stanfortyman brought that into the discussion.

I guess mxer108 is just talking here about a small motor with a very small HP rating (As he/she mentioned lithium ion and not big fat lead batteries, I presume it is a small mobile application)

Oct 29, 2008, 07:29 PM

True about the 2hp thing. My numbers still stand. He can do the math to see if there is a realistic chance of doing what he wants. I have never seen an 12v to 240v inverter except in industrial applications (USA). You are talking serious money for anything that has much power output.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Note that mxer108 never mentioned any HP requirement. stanfortyman brought that into the discussion.
    Yes I did, and it was just an example.

Why you would assume a tiny motor I have no idea. He did ask about a 240v motor which inherently IMO equates to a larger motor.

Maybe it is a tiny fan motor or something he ripped out of a larger appliance? Who knows until he comes back and tells us.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 08:52 PM

Hey, maybe the motor is 220 V DC?

Oct 30, 2008, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Hey, maybe the motor is 220 V DC?
    That would make life a lot easier.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis View Post
    Just use a 12 Volt Dc-Ac 220 Volt inverter, and take enough batteries in series to feed the inverter. Make sure the power capacity of the inverter is sufficient to feed the motor.

Success !

Be careful. Not all power inverters are made equal. Often it is not a pure sine wave which may cause additional losses and inefficiencies, or heat losses within the motor which could reduce it's life.

If this approach is used, it is recommended that a pure sine wave power inverter be used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring 220V Single Phase 30 AMP car lift motor [ 5 Answers ]

Recently I perchased 9000 pounds 2 post car lift, and only after car lift has arrived I've found out that the requirements for the motor are 220VAC Single Phase 30 AMP 60 Hz. Can somebody please explain how to use this motor safely with the standard power outlet. Thank you.

Trying to connect 220v 3phase lathe to 220v dryer outlet. [ 12 Answers ]

I want to connect a 220v 3 phase lathe (2hp Baldor motor 2 pole plug with ground) to a 220v 3 wire dryer wall outlet. The lathe plug has black, white and green wires. The dryer outlet is black, white and red. I want to make an extension cord with 12/3 wire, male dryer plug on one end and female...

Setting a battery operated outdoor timer [ 6 Answers ]

I am frustrated in trying to set an automatic outdoor watering timer for several flower pots. I need it to operate twice daily, but can only get it to come on once. Can you instruct me on what I am doing wrong?

220V Motor on a 240V supply [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am looking at buying a 50hz 220 Volt incinerator but our supply here(Cook Islands) is 240Volt 50hz. Will having a slightly larger supply do any harm to the 220volt motor. Thanks and merry Christmas:)

Can a 12V 240AMP battery power a 12VDC motor? [ 2 Answers ]

I know: Watts = Volts X Amps, but I need to know if I can use a 12V battery, 240Amps to power a water pump that's 12VDC/65Watts.

View more questions Search