Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BobbyC Posts: 23, Reputation: 5

Jun 21, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Foul Smell
    I've owned my house for about 7 years now. The house is about 22 years old. Recently I ve had black particles coming out of the toilet when flushed and also, at times I smell a sewer smell coming out of my kitchen sink. The smell only stays for a couple of seconds. Can anyone tell me what I should do or call?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2006, 07:35 PM
    Septic Tank is full?

Jun 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
    Thanks for anwering Magprob, but how does one hire someone to do fix this?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 08:28 AM
    It needs to be pumped out. Look in the Yellow Pages or a business Directory for someone that pumps out septic tanks.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 08:38 AM
    Bobbie, do you have a septic tank?
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 22, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Black "stuff" entering your bowl could be bits of flapper, tank-to-bowl gasket bits, something inside your toilet tank, or something coming out of your water line.
    The sewer gas in the kitchen? Not sure, but trap could've dried up.

Jun 23, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Good question Rickyj, how does one know where their septic tank is Magprob? I live in a community area, not in one where one has there septic tank on there property.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2006, 06:01 AM
    Do yourself a favor. Get a local plumber out there to give you a free estimate. I'd pick the biggest one in town. From that you'll learn what the problem is and whether you have a septic tank and/or other issues that are particular to your home.

From there we can help you determine whether the solution is worth trying yourself.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2006, 06:34 AM
    Bobby,
    " I live in a community area, not in one where one has there septic tank on there property."

If there's no septic tank on your property then you're connected to a community utility sewage disposal plant.

Shunned hit it correct when he said, "Black "stuff" entering your bowl could be bits of flapper, tank-to-bowl gasket bits, something inside your toilet tank, or something coming out of your water line."

Open the tank lid and feel around the flapper. If your hand comes away black then replace the flapper.

As for the odor from the kitchen sink if you have a disposal then the smell could be coming from there. Try this. First throw a couple of ice cubes in the in it and turn it on. This will chop the cubes, fling them against the walls and dislodge any rotting food that may be splattered up there. Stopper the sink and run 1/2 a tub of water. Now let it drain and flush out the dislodged food.
    Now for a clean/fresh smell cut a lemon into quarters and run them through.
    Smell better now? Regards, Tom

Jun 23, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll follow your instructions. I'll let you all know how it turns out. You all are Great!
    olalde77 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Regarding the smell at the sink. If you have a garbage disposal, consider changing the overflow tubing. [You'll be amazed at how much gunk builds up in that line - and it gets stinky]. Very easy to do - you won't need a plumber. Suggestion: Remove the current tube, take it to the hardware store and have them give you an identical piece.
    alphadog00 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
    The black bits may be mold that has built up under the rim of the toilet. Black mold is a common problem in whirlpools that get little use. The jet lines don't drain and mold grows, when the pump is turned on after a few months of mold and algae growth, black chunks shoot out of the jets.

Things to do:

Chlorine bleach. Pour some in the bowl and scrub the underside of the lip where the water swirls into the tank. There are a bunch of holes that probably have mold or algae growing in them. Consider also, one of the chlorine tablets for your tank, and clean the toilet bowl more often.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Occasional foul smell from furnace/AC Unit [ 2 Answers ]

Occasionally I go to the basement only to smell a foul smell coming from the furnace/AC unit. It is a propane furnace. Is this a normal smell?

Foul smell in kitchen drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a problem with a very bad odor in my kitchen sink drain since the weather got warm. My home is new and is a manufactured home in a park. I have used gel drain openers followed by boiling water and when that did not work I used a box of baking soda, 1cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar, let...

The basketball foul line? [ 1 Answers ]

OK. Well I have a basketball hoop in my driveway. I need someone to tell me where to mark the foul line cause I have to try out next season and I need a basketball 7th grade girl to tell me. Please comment or whatever. Spicer.

Foul odors [ 7 Answers ]

Help- I have a situation where I must create the odor of rotting garbage and human waste. No, this is not a joke, it is a paying job. (Not much, but a job). I need to cover an area about 100' x 100' for 5 seconds or so. I can launch a chemical into the air, fan out a powder, or? Any ideas are...

Foul odor = Desulfovibrio [ 2 Answers ]

Dealing with a foul odor from hot water (no problem with cold water) that coincided with installing a new anode rod in the water heater. (Original info here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9811&highlight=foul+odor ) Got a "premium" anode rod and had the same problem. Experiments...

View more questions Search