Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackietyree Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Sinus/ear infection or is it from something going wrong when I had a filling replaced
    I have allergy problems and take allegra d daily and use nasonex nose spray. About a month ago I had two fillings replaced. They were the old silver filling and my dentist replaced them with white fillings. Soon after that I started having pains in my ear and my teeth started aching. Typical symptoms of a sinus infection (I get one a year). I went to my doctor. I was put on a sulfur based antibiotic and the next week one of my teeth I had the filling replaced in started to hurt when I chewed on that side so I went back to my dentist, and he advised I had an infection in the gum due to a piece of the white filling had gotten in between my teeth. He put me on another antibiotic. When I went to the pharmacist she suggested that the one antibiotic the dentist had given me would fight both the infection in my gum and my sinus/ear infections. So I stopped taking the sulfur based antibiotic. I finished that antibiotic and the pain was still in my ear and my teeth were still aching sometimes. So I consulted with my doctor again. I was given a shot of cortisone and loritabs for the pain. That was last week and the pain is still there in my ear and my teeth still ache. The pharmacist suggested taking Sudafed in addition to my allergy meds twice a day plus my nose spray. It was explained to me that this along with the cortisone shot would dry up my sinus and the fluid behind my ear. Well five days later as soon as the meds wear off the pain is back.

Could this be a stuburn sinus infection or could something have went wrong w/the dental work to effect my nerves?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 07:16 PM
    By any chance did your dentist check your bite when you went back to see him/her? How has stress been in your life (other than the pain from your teeth and ear)? Perhaps you are clenching and grinding. Go back to your dentist and have him/her check your bite and assess whether you are grinding your teeth.
    Good luck.
    wolfgangqpublic Posts: 189, Reputation: 29
    -

Sep 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jackietyree
    I have allergy problems and take allegra d daily and use nasonex nose spray. About a month ago I had two fillings replaced. They were the old silver filling and my dentist replaced them with white fillings. Soon after that I started having pains in my ear and my teeth started aching. Typical symptoms of a sinus infection (I get one a year). I went to my doctor. I was put on a sulfur based antibiotic and the next week one of my teeth I had the filling replaced in started to hurt when I chewed on that side so I went back to my dentist, and he advised I had an infection in the gum due to a piece of the white filling had gotten in between my teeth. He put me on another antibiotic. When I went to the pharmacist she suggested that the one antibiotic the dentist had given me would fight both the infection in my gum and my sinus/ear infections. So I stopped taking the sulfur based antibiotic. I finished that antibiotic and the pain was still in my ear and my teeth were still aching sometimes. So I consulted with my doctor again. I was given a shot of cortisone and loritabs for the pain. That was last week and the pain is still there in my ear and my teeth still ache. The pharmacist suggested taking Sudafed in addition to my allergy meds twice a day plus my nose spray. It was explained to me that this along with the cortisone shot would dry up my sinus and the fluid behind my ear. Well five days later as soon as the meds wear off the pain is back.

Could this be a stuburn sinus infection or could something have went wrong w/the dental work to effect my nerves?

The best thing against Ear infection or swimmers ear is the eardoc. With the Eardoc there relay inst any problem. As it is non invasive and it treats the problem and not the symptoms
    Eardoc - stop ear pain
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2008, 10:44 AM
    It's best for jackie to find out what the CAUSE of her ear pain is before trying to treat it with anything OTC.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Sep 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Most likely post op pain from the filling (if it was deep)... might need a root canal bud! Stick with amalgam fillings (they are the best)
    michaelchay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 07:43 AM

No, Amalgam fillings are NOT best! They are one of the most dangerous things anyone of us can do to our bodies! Google about "mercury toxicity" to research. Many people have gotten very, very sick with serious illnessnes from amalgam fillings - they are highly toxic! White fillings are always safest and best! This woman's problems have nothing to do with the type of filling she got.

Have you tried sinus irrigation in a neti pot or nasaline?
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Sep 29, 2009, 11:33 AM

Michael... you can't get reliable scientific data from Google... anyone can write anything on the internet... decades of studies show no bad effects from amalgam, and in fact you get more mercury in your body from eating grocery store seafood once a week, than having a mouthfull of amalgam fillings
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Actually GOLD restorations are the best choice but most insurances don't pay for them so dentists don't suggest them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sinus Infection in the Brain [ 9 Answers ]

My mom was in the hospital about a year ago, with a Sinus Infection that reached her brain. She was there for a week, and they gave her two weeks worth of antibiotics, and told her to go see her neurologist. Problem is, that 2 years ago, she lost her job after being there for 12 years(corporate...

Biaxin for sinus infection? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, about two weeks ago I was taking Biaxin 500MG for acute bronchitis. I stopped taking it when my bronchitis went away. For the past week-almost two- I have been suffering from a HORRIBLE sinus infection. I was wondering if I could start taking my Biaxin to maybe treat it.

My 4yr has been sick since early December, Sinus infection? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, everyone I need some help. My 4yr old daughter has been sick since early December, called the Dr. with questions, as well as taking her in to see him. He gave her a decongestant with a cough medicine but I am concerned she has a sinus infection. He said no, this child has been...

Sinus infection with a purple not on cheek.is that common [ 1 Answers ]

Is it normal to have a swollen purple bump on your cheek from a sinus infection?

Sinus infection? [ 2 Answers ]

This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I think I have a sinus infection, my ears are constantly clogged and feel like they need to pop, and my head hurts so bad in the back, top, front, and sides, it hurts worse when I bend down to fast like a thumping pain. The only problem is my...

View more questions Search