Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canyouhearmenow Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Steering Wheel Shakes
    My steering wheel shakes considerably when braking at speeds higher than 60 MPH.
    Braking at speeds less than that is fine. When it does begin to shake, it will quit at around 45 MPH. It may be by coincidence, but it started shortly after I had after market wheels installed(got rid of the steelies w/hubs). I had the brakes checked during my last tire rotation and they said pads and rotors were fine.
    The size of the stock wheels are 15x6, 52.5mm offset. The wheels I had installed were
    15x6.5, 45mm offset. I don't know if that is relevant.
    Thanks for your input!
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Over torqued lug nuts, or the wrong type. Today's cars, we call them wheel fasteners because it's getting pretty sophisticated.
    By the way, some rims require a plastic spacer ring to match your hub diameter and must be installed.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2008, 11:41 AM
    It could also be that you lost a wheel weight and need to have the tires rebalanced.
    lmangileri Posts: 211, Reputation: 11

Aug 22, 2008, 11:45 AM
    My steering wheel would shake when I had new tires put on and they needed to be rebalanced. Did you have the wheels installed by someone else? Because you could just take your car back there and tell them the wheels need to be checked.
    canyouhearmenow Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Thanks for your recommendations... hopefully I can get it resolved
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 22, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Is the vibration more of a pulsing rather than a shake like a wheel out of balance? Sometimes a rotor is just out of tolerance and gets a bit grabby. I'd ask them to check the rotor again. Also, have your tires balanced again at a shop that specializes in brakes and balancing. I have had some jobs come out of the shop that were so sloppy they had 10 oz. of weights all over the place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

97 F150 from wheel gets very hot, truck shakes [ 1 Answers ]

Not 4WD. At first I thought truck only shook when I went to brake, but now it seems to also do it in wet weather when accelerating too. But it's an old truck, maybe it's actually 2 different problems? The front left wheel gets very hot compared to others. I've got an on-going gasket leak that I...

Steering Wheel and Ignition [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just bought a really cheap 1990 Chevy Beretta. Seems to go fine but the steering is really tight and seems messed with, and the ignition is shot, I put the key in and have to almost force it out. How much do you think it would run me to get these both replaced. Also for some reason the...

Steering wheel and key locks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My brand new 2006 Toyota Matrix (which I really enjoy) started giving me problems when I try to turn the key on, it stays locked. I also noticed that my steering wheel is also locked like when you turn it and the car is off. It's the second time it does this to me. It is not the normal...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search