Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techrec79 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 12:23 AM
    Smoke Alarm
    We have a smoke alarm direct wired into the house. It continues to chirp periodically. What causes this and how can we make it stop? Its wired not battery operated so its not a dead battery.

Thanks,

Eric
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 01:01 AM
    First try: Many smoke alarms have battery backup, because obviously in a fire your electric cabling can become damaged. The chirping probably indicates that this back up battery is low or missing, please replace the battery, it could save your life :)

I also found this:
    Improper wiring on AC or AC/DC smoke alarms.
    AC alarms will chirp every 5 seconds if the interconnect wire is grounded. The orange interconnect wire should NEVER be grounded; it should only be used to interconnect other smoke alarms or compatible devices.

Maybe an electrical expert can give you further information about this if the battery issue doesn't solve it for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Zone Alarm Firewall [ 7 Answers ]

I am running Windows XP Home with Internet Explorer. For PC Protection I AVG Free Anti-Virus, Ad-Aware SE to detect and rmove Adware, Microsoft Anti-Spyware,Spybot,and Spyware Blaster to detect and remove spyware.Do you advise me to also download Zone Alarm Firewall protection. Some say yes and...

Fire Alarm [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, About 3 days ago, a new fire alarm was installed in my condo unit. In the process, the technician turned off the breaker for the central AC unit. Yesterday I decided to turn on my air conditioner (the breaker was still off). I noticed that the guy turned off the breaker while the AC was...

Removing hard wired smoke alarm [ 2 Answers ]

Mcsteph here again. I wish to remove a hard wired smoke detector but cannot find the fuse that switches it off. Is there a fuse or is it always on? Either way, how do I remove it without smelling like burnt pork? TKRussell? anyone?:confused:

View more questions Search