Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Vested Misplaced 401k
    I've been a truck driver for the past 6 years. Today I've found a statement on a 401k that I contributed to from a previous employer. The statement is from the year 2000, and it shows a balance on it. I've tried calling the plan administrator to try and see what the latest balance is with no luck. I've been given phone number after phone number. Each time I've given my account number on the statement, and each time they cannot find any records. Since driving truck a lot of paperwork has been misplaced or lost due to marital issues and moving from one address to another. Now I'm in one place for good.
    The money is vested. The company I worked for is no longer there, and a money search returned no results. Here is my question:
    What part of the IRS handles 401k? I checked their website and it was no help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Sorry the IRS does not "handle it" the company plan admin people are the ones. You need to make a copy and send them a letter asking for the details.
    againes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 06:13 AM
    I never received my 401k money after I left a job, how do I go about getting it, it's been about 14 years ago
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2007, 07:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfury
    What part of the IRS handles 401k? I checked their website and it was no help.
    Quote Originally Posted by againes
    I never received my 401k money after I left a job, how do I go about getting it, it's been about 14 years ago
    By law, the holders of funds in either a defined benefit (pension) or defined contribution (401K, etc) plan are required to report the existence of those finds to the Social Security Administration. When you apply for SS benefits, you receive notice of any retirement funds that were reported. You can try contacting the SSA to see if that can tell you where the funds are now.
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Thanks Chuck, It's just as I thought. I read a lot of answers from other members relating to similar situations and they keep saying to contact the IRS for help.
    Againes, Check with the plan administrator or contact the company you worked for. You won't be able to get the money until you retire. In some cases you can get the money out but you have to roll it over into a new plan or pay some stiff penalty's and interest to the IRS for early withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Vested money [ 2 Answers ]

How do I obtained money vested in companies I haven't worked for in over 25 years Will I be notified by the company around my retirement age letting me know I have Money vested or do I have to contact the companies

401k ? [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this question maybe I was not clear enough. I withdrew my 401k when I lived and worked in NY. Later in the year I moved to PA and took a job in NJ. I have to file taxes in all 3 states do I have to claim that 401k money as income in all 3 states? I have not seen this type of multi state...

401k [ 2 Answers ]

I WAS JUST WONDERING ABOUT HOW $ MONEY IS TAKEN OUT, WHEN YOU TAKE OUT ALL THE MONEY?:D I NEED TO CLOSE IT BECAUSE NO MORE MONEY IS BEING INVESTED IN TO IT.:eek: I GOT IT BECUASE THE COPANY I USE TO WORK FOR OFFERED IT TO ME BUT I DO NOT WANT IT ANY MORE. HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH WILL BE GONE?

Vested amount [ 1 Answers ]

Friends, just need some clarification on some financial speak. What is vested amount in reference to a balance on a 401K statement? Thanks?

View more questions Search