Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wsmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2005, 08:19 PM
    Best way to negotiate rates w/ credit card companies?
    A family member is loaning me $20K to pay off part of my $33K credit card debt. The loan will enable me to pay off the balances in full on two of the highest-interest rate cards, and part of the next highest-rate card.

I'd love to just call the bastards up & close the accounts as soon as the balances are paid, but I know I can probably use the leverage of paying off the full balances to negotiate lower rates, with the idea of doing a balance transfer on at least part of the debt I have remaining.

I did some of this phone negotiation stuff years ago w/ pretty good success, but the credit card industry has gotten so competitive lately, I'm wondering if people who've done it recently have some advice (particularly if they've dealt with Chase, the company I'll be negotiating w/, but any advice welcome!). Thanks!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 9, 2005, 08:34 PM
    Please allow me to make a suggestion. Rather than negotiating lower rates, please consider closing the two accounts where you are paying the balances in full. Then apply for a new account with one of the dozens of companies that offer 0% for balance transfers. Once you obtain this new account, transfer all remaining balances and close all of your other credit card accounts. If you owe $33,000 in credit card bills and you need to borrow a substantial amount from a family member just to pay off a portion of it, then you need to stop using credit cards. Transfer all of the balances to your new account and then lock the new card away, to be used only for a real emergency. Most financial advisors will tell you that you should not spend more than 15% of your monthly after-tax income on credit card bills. Please use that as a guide in the future, once you get your situation under control.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 10, 2005, 08:43 AM
    Credit cards
    Hi,
    I agree with Lisa.
    I would accept a new credit card, different company. Many are online, through searching.
    A new "sign-up" in most cases, offer 0% interested charges for 6 months or a yr, whatever, and will do that if you transfer other credit card companies' bills to them.
    I would then call Chase, or whoever, and cancel your account, and be SURE to tell the representative to cancel it "at customers request". In that way, it will not hurt your credit rating later. (There might be some problem with the cancelled credit card company saying THEY cancelled it on you, not you.)
    I do know that getting in "over one's head" with credit cards is easy to do, or can be done if there is a hugh money emergency.
    Personally, I don't charge anything on either of our 2 different credit cards, unless I can pay them off when I receive the bill.
    I do wish you the best, and hope you can reach a good decision about this.
    wsmith Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I am already determined to end my credit card use, I've actually stopped using the cards months ago and am just trying to get the balances and rates manageable. I'd like to close the accounts that I pay off in full immediately, but I know that this partly affects my credit rating (even if it's noted on my credit record that they were closed on my request). My concern is not the temptation to use these accounts again, but rebuilding my credit rating. And getting a lower rate on my remaining balances of course (I'll still be carrying over $9K on a card charging me %25.5 interest unless I can negotiate).
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 10, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Your credit rating will not be hurt by closing those accounts. A credit rating is built up in two ways: (1) always making payments on time; and (2) not carrying a large amount of risk. A lender reviewing your credit rating would rather see you with one or two cards and a relatively low credit limit (such as $10,000 per card) than several empty cards with high credit limit. That's because they are afraid that they could give you a loan and then you would go out and max out all of your cards. If you had only $10,000 debt outstanding and a maximum of $20,000 credit limit that is more attractive to them than seeing you with $10,000 debt outstanding and a $50,000 credit limit. So don't hesitate to close those accounts. Keep one or two accounts open but don't use them unless you are able to pay it in full when the bill comes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Risky Companies, lower target payout rate, gradual adjustment rates [ 7 Answers ]

Would you please help me to understand what this means. "Risky companies tend to have lower target payout ratios and more gradual Adjustment rates.” Thank you. Denise

Writing Humor for Greeting card companies [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to know how greeting card companies judge verse submissions from freelance writers before they accept any writing idea submitted. Is there any formula for writing acceptable humor for all the greeting card companies out there.

Credit Card companies seizing a house [ 5 Answers ]

My friend and I were arguing as to whether c.c comps can seize your home for unpaid debts. Even if your house is worth more than the debt. My friend used an example of a home worth $300,000 and a cc debt of $4000. I think that because your mortgage is a secured loan by the bank the cc comp wouldn't...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

Credit card [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a credit card company offer to take a settlement of $4,700 on a debt of $29,000?

View more questions Search