Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BBaxter Matheny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2016, 12:22 AM
    Sticking lock
    My desk is a classic McDowell & Craig tanker, famous for being built like a battleship. All its drawers secure when shut and are conveniently released by opening the pencil drawer in the middle which has the only keyed lock--a wonderful idea until the mechanism starts sticking as it is doing right now! Panic time as I have important things in there! What step do I take to open the drawers on the right when pulling the drawer in the middle doesn't release them as normal? Is this a lubrication gremlin?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 23, 2016, 04:53 AM
    Most likely when you close the center drawer that moves some mechanism that physically prevent opening the other drawers. Since you are having problems with the right and do not indicate problems with the left, there are two devices, one for the left and one for the right. Probably rods or bars that are moved when the center drawer is closed.
    If you open the center drawer and look underneath you will see the mechanism and how it works. If you remove the drawers on the side you should see the device that actually prevents the drawers from opening. Probably a rod or bar that moves up and down or to the side.
    I doubt that what is needed is lubrication per se. More likely adjustment, wear and tear or something interfering with its operation (that bundle of money you are hiding). This will be a mechanical operation, (one leaver pushes another). Its operation should be obvious when you see it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Went bizarre and won't start. Lock/no heat/lock/no heat.. etc.. 665.15779990 [ 3 Answers ]

Cut power for ten minutes. Tried several of the listed sequences. Nothing. Augh! Please help

Can your lanlord change your lock (lock out) without going through the courts? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a month to month lease and have been paying every month. My landlord is selling her condo and I have agreed to stay here until she sell and open my house for showing while I reside her but the agreement was it has to be convinent me and a 48hr notice. Well that has not been the case and the...

Can't turn on laptop, all caps lock,Num lock, scr. Lock lights are on [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one help me, please I don't know what did my kids do my sony laptop, now I can't turn it on. When I turn on the laptop, only power, battery and hard drive lights are on but the screen is not on at all. All caps lock, Num lock and Screen lock lights are on all the time, the laptop doesn't...

Oven door won't close lock is sticking out [ 1 Answers ]

Oven door won't close, lock for self cleaning is sticking out

Air lock or hammer lock [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how I can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I connected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, I hear this bang evertime it purges water. ...

View more questions Search