Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessrabbit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Can a child choose to live with a unbiological parent
    My ex and I sperated and he tried to get custody over my daughter. We did a paternity and she is not his. I got custody. He still got visitation but pays no child support at all. Now he's saying that she can choose to live with him. Can she do that with her not being biologically his. HELP!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
    A child can't choose. Only a court can award custody. Since they already did I don't see them changing it.

May 14, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Thank you! She's only ten and with him not being biological I feel as though he got a lot considering he's not the biological father, and not having to pay child support. Thank you so much for your quick response!

May 15, 2012, 03:15 AM
    At 10, the court is unlikely to even listen to her preference.

Were you married when the child was born. He might still be the legal father even if he isn't the bio father. How long were you together?

May 15, 2012, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    At 10, the court is unlikely to even listen to her preference.

Were you married when the child was born. He might still be the legal father even if he isn't the bio father. How long were you together?
    We were never married. We were together 2 years. He cheated, when we went to court they told me that my husband could adopt her and that he had more rights over her than him. She also said that the child shouldn't call him dad etc due to confusion of the child. He hasn't listened to that either. And if he is the legal father, should I take him to court for child support since he's already getting parental rights to her?

May 15, 2012, 06:04 AM
    The child is 10, was she born during those 2 years you were together? If he is alienating the child against you, that is against the law.

I would have your husband adopt and get him out of the picture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How old does a child have to be to choose what parent they want to live with? [ 1 Answers ]

My stepdaughter is about to turn 11 years old, and she seems to be having some problems with her mother. She claims that she doesn't take care of her and that she never really has. She mentioned that her mother is always claiming that she is at work or at school, and on her days off she makes...

At what age in CA can a child choose to live with a parent [ 2 Answers ]

My children are 15 and 16... they live with me as the custodial parent. After 10 years of divorce, I still have issues with their dad about the vacation schedule. The girls want to go with me to Hawaii. He refuses to let them go. Can they.

When can a child choose what parent to live with. [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can a child choice where and what parent they want to live with

At what age can a child choose which parent they live with [ 4 Answers ]

At what age can a child who's parents have separated choose which parent they live with?

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search