Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smcguckin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Furnace Hiccups
    Manufacturer:
    Cannot find any indication on the furnace as to make and model other than a little plaque that reads "Day & Night".

Age of equipment:
    ~ 18 yrs old

Efficiency:
    80%.

Type of system:
    Forced air gas furnace.

Type of fuel:
    NG

Try to turn furnace off and on at power switch or breaker. Did this do anything?
    No.

Thermostat settings:
    Fan set to auto. New Honeywell digital thermostat just installed [it was a 4-wire installation] by me as I thought the original thermostat might be the problem. It didn't fix the problem. But it looks nice.:rolleyes:

Problem:
    Furnace starts and operates normally. However, when it reaches temperature and goes off, it comes right back on and goes right back off, 3 or 4 times. The first 2 or 3 times are one right after the other, but the fourth one is usually about two seconds after the third.

That's it. Anything anyone can tell me will very appreciated.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 18, 2006, 05:51 PM
    Well, don't run away... This sounds to mee like your limit switch. A small silver box mounted on the furnace itself. Usually has a white push-button on it. How long does it stay on when it turns back on ?

Dec 18, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Not more than a second.

On.Off.. On.Off.. On.Off... On.Off

Like that.

Thanks.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2006, 10:34 PM
    Do you have a pilot that lights each time you turn on the thermostat? Is it lit with a spark ignitor? Does the pilot have three wires coming from it? If the answers are yes then you have a bi-metal switch at the pilot that heats up and makes a connection in the pilot that switches to the gas valve to come on, if this switch is weak or the pilot is weak this little switch does not get all the heat it needs and the switch will open and close then in just a few seconds it has heated again and will open but for some reason it will close again and cause that cycling. But after several times of this the pilot switch should get hot enough that it will stay on.
    If you don't think this is your problem than give us some more clues, we will try to help.

Dec 19, 2006, 08:06 AM
    Thank you letmetellu, but I don't think that's it. This happens at the end of a heating cycle, not at the beginning [which is what I think you're describing].

The only other piece of information I can state is that the old thermostat that I replaced was a Robert Shaw thermostat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Comfortmaker Furnace Fan blows in line fuse and will not allow furnace to work [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Comfortmaker Furnace (approximately 1998/99) and the fan will not turn on allow the furnace to heat. When I try to turn the furnace on it blows a 3 amp fuse at the blower motor. I removed the fuse and jumped it and all it will do is make a faint buzzing noise and not turn on. I can...

Dog with hiccups [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mixed breed puppy (we think). We got our dog from a rescue society. He could be sleeping and all of a sudden he has the hiccupps. They only last about a minute or two. Is this something I should worry about?

Doxie JRT Cross hiccups [ 3 Answers ]

Our pup has had digestive problems since we acquired him. He's considerably better as we have made some adjustments to his diet and meal times. After his first morning exercise he's given a 'cookie' just to have something in his stomach and half an hour later he's given a small amount of a good...

Puppy hiccups [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering can puppies/dogs get a case of hiccups. My 13 week Chihuahua was sleeping on my chest one moring and he kept making the classic jump/hiccup sounds for about a minute. I was worried so I woke him up, he awoke repositioned himself and then went back to sleep and it never happened...

View more questions Search