Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Richard prior Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
    Do I still have to pay a mortgage when I don't live there?
    A house was bought a year into a relationship, I moved out after 3 years and have continued to pay half the mortgage for the last two years . Am I still legally obliged to pay half ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 09:48 PM
    Who bought the house? Whose names are on the mortgage and on the deed?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 09:54 PM
    Is your name on the mortgage? If so, yes, you're responsible for it. Let's put it this way, you buy a car, you take out a loan to get it, you sign for it, you drive it off the lot and get into an accident. Insurance won't pay. Just because you no longer have the car doesn't mean you can decide not to pay for it, you took out the loan, so you're responsible for it.

I'd ask to be bought out by the other person on the mortgage, get your name off the mortgage since you no longer live there.

If your name isn't on the mortgage, if you're not named as part owner, than you're free and clear. No reason for you to pay for something you're not liable for.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Who bought the house? Whose names are on the mortgage and on the deed?
    Yes, my name is on the loan.. Joint loan on the house.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 10:29 PM
    Since your name is on the loan, you are required to continue to pay on the mortgage.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    Is your name on the mortgage? If so, yes, you're responsible for it. Let's put it this way, you buy a car, you take out a loan to get it, you sign for it, you drive it off the lot and get into an accident. Insurance won't pay. Just because you no longer have the car doesn't mean you can decide not to pay for it, you took out the loan, so you're responsible for it.

I'd ask to be bought out by the other person on the mortgage, get your name off the mortgage since you no longer live there.

If your name isn't on the mortgage, if you're not named as part owner, than you're free and clear. No reason for you to pay for something you're not liable for.
    It's as I thought then, but hoped I would have better news.. Thanks for the help:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 10:30 PM
    Why would you think you don't have to pay on a loan that has your name listed? You borrowed the money from the bank, therefore you owe it back to the bank.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Why would you think you don't have to pay on a loan that has your name listed? You borrowed the money from the bank, therefore you owe it back to the bank.
    I was told by someone that I could reduce the amount of financial input as I wasn't living there.. and that my ex was liable for a larger input.
    Pets Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard prior View Post
    I was told by someone that I could reduce the amount of financial input as I wasn't living there.. and that my ex was liable for a larger input.
    It really depends on the ex. Were you two married? When is the mortgage due to be renewed? The only way you can get out of this is by her buying you out, getting your name off the mortgage. Not going to be an easy task. Why would the ex do it? Right now she's living in a house and only paying half the mortgage.

Having said that, you're part owner of the house, no reason that you can't live there since you are paying half the mortgage and your name is on the deed.

Oct 30, 2013, 11:11 PM
    It really depends on the ex. Were you two married? When is the mortgage due to be renewed? The only way you can get out of this is by her buying you out, getting your name off the mortgage. Not going to be an easy task. Why would the ex do it? Right now she's living in a house and only paying half the mortgage.

Having said that, you're part owner of the house, no reason that you can't live there since you are paying half the mortgage and your name is on the deed.
    Never married, but maintained a amicable co parenting relationship until now😬 I started a new higher paying job albeit short term, now she has re assed the maintenance to a unrealistic figure, or so I think! I've always paid above and beyond whilst looking after my little man as well.. Off track a little but the result is I thought I could offset this a little by reducing the input in the mortgage.. Surely $300 a week for a 7yr old is over the top? I guess this gets into a whole other topic though:) thanks though..
    Pets Expert

Oct 30, 2013, 11:40 PM
    Never married, but maintained a amicable co parenting relationship until now😬 I started a new higher paying job albeit short term, now she has re assed the maintenance to a unrealistic figure, or so I think! I've always paid above and beyond whilst looking after my little man as well.. Off track a little but the result is I thought I could offset this a little by reducing the input in the mortgage.. Surely $300 a week for a 7yr old is over the top? I guess this gets into a whole other topic though:) thanks though..
    Have you ever thought about buying her out of the home or selling it altogether, starting fresh, each of you getting half of what it sells for after the bank is paid?

I really think it would be in your best interest to sever the relationship when it comes to owning a home together.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 12:07 AM
    Yes, the never married is the issue, if married, these are settled in divorce court. You need to try and work out a agreement with them.

Oct 31, 2013, 12:09 AM
    Have you ever thought about buying her out of the home or selling it altogether, starting fresh, each of you getting half of what it sells for after the bank is paid?

I really think it would be in your best interest to sever the relationship when it comes to owning a home together.
    Yes, selling seems to be the only option.. Thanks for your input, and allowing me to vent:) much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 31, 2013, 04:58 AM
    Whoever told you this does not know what they are talking about. The only way to reduce your obligation on the loan is by taking her to court for a more equitable split. Its possible a court will agree that it is unfair that you should be paying an equal share for a house your don't live in. On the other hand, they may just put it that its part of your support for your child by providing a home.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 07:14 AM
    OP needs to get his child support obligation set by the court. Also, at present, he is jointly and severally liable with his ex on the mortgage. This means that, if she fails to pay, the bank could foreclose, sell it, and have a judgment against him for the deficiency. So part of the litigation he should contemplate would to force her to re-fiancé the property in her own name.

Oct 31, 2013, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    OP needs to get his child support obligation set by the court. Also, at present, he is jointly and severally liable with his ex on the mortgage. This means that, if she fails to pay, the bank could foreclose, sell it, and have a judgment against him for the deficiency. So part of the litigation he should contemplate would to force her to re-fiancé the property in her own name.
    Thank you for that advice. RP
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Whoever told you this does not know what they are talking about. The only way to reduce your obligation on the loan is by taking her to court for a more equitable split. Its possible a court will agree that it is unfair that you should be paying an equal share for a house your don't live in. On the other hand, they may just put it that its part of your support for your child by providing a home.
    I think the confusion is coming from how the law can work. In cases where both parties are on a loan and only 1 party occupies the home then the courts see the continued obligation to the loan as a principle matter. But what the courts can do is allow for "rent back" of the home. That is the fair market value for renting the home. Often times this rent back can be more then 1/2 the payment on the home. So when split it works out that the one remaining in the home pays a greater share towards it.
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
    I have a question, and I'd love the legal experts to weigh in on this, it just popped into my head, and since I'm not a legal expert, I'm not sure if it's relevant or not.

When she went to court for child support, was the court made aware of the fact that she lives in the house that both of you own and pay for? Did they take that into consideration when determining the amount of child support you owe?

Yes, there's more than just a roof over a childs head when it comes to supporting said child, but you are paying half of a mortgage on a house you don't even live in, and then pay an additional $300 a week for your child? That seems excessive to me.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 02:47 PM

When she went to court for child support, was the court made aware of the fact that she lives in the house that both of you own and pay for? Did they take that into consideration when determining the amount of child support you owe?
    The way I've read everything OP has said, there is no court order for child support.

The main clue is here: "I started a new higher paying job albeit short term, now she has re assed the maintenance to a unrealistic figure, or so I think!". I don't read this as saying there is an order, but it could, I suppose, be interpreted that way.

Richard prior, please clarify.
    Pets Expert

Oct 31, 2013, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    The way I've read everything OP has said, there is no court order for child support.

The main clue is here: "I started a new higher paying job albeit short term, now she has re assed the maintenance to a unrealistic figure, or so I think!". I don't read this as saying there is an order, but it could, I suppose, be interpreted that way.

Richard prior, please clarify.
    True, he doesn't say it's court ordered. I just don't see anyone agreeing to $300 a week, and paying half the mortgage on a home he doesn't even live in, without a court order. But that is an assumption on my part.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My landlord gave me a 5 day pay or quit notice. Does that mean get out if I don't pay [ 6 Answers ]

If I don't pay in 5 days can my landlord come an make me get out or is there a court process. I live in norfolk va.

Mortgage in my mothers name but we pay the mortgage we want to add ourselves to deed [ 4 Answers ]

We refinanced with my mother we are not on the mortgage but we pay the mortgage she does not live here so we want to add our names to the deed she is very old now and we want to protect our interest!

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

View more questions Search