Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lori41 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Collection agency still calling after payment agreement made & pymts being made
    I have an outstanding bill with Hydro one in Ontario of 800.00 owing since 2003, with interest the bill has now doubled to 1600.00, I was unable to make payments on this bill due to financial reasons, but this past month & half I have been paying 100.00 /month to the collection agency, they are still calling me and harassing me to take out loans etc.. To get the bill paid... my question is... now that I am making payments which was agreed by the collection agency, do they still have the right to continue to call me and verbally abuse me?? The girl is quite rude and intimidating on the phone... ie.. "I should send my 14 yr old son out to get a job to pay for the bill." among many other comments made by her. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 7, 2008, 08:30 AM
    I don't know what the laws are in Canada, but I believe they have a similar law to the US Fair Credit Reporting Act. And part of that lawyer is you can tell them to correspond only by mail. Do you have the payment agreement in writing?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Do you have the agreement to make payments in writing, if you do not have it in writing, then to them, there really is no agreement so to speak, expect that they are happy to get that 100 each month, but their agents will make more money if they also talk you into sending more.

So if not in writing, ask for it in writing
    Lori41 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
    No agreement in writing , this was done over the phone, but can they still call and harass me now that I am making payments? I would think that they should be happy that I am making payments now, but they want the full amount.Asking me to borrow money from friends, get a loan etc... I just called wells fargo to apply for a personal loan to repay them but I know my credit is shot and don't think that I will get approved... this will piss her off more and I don't think that the calls will stop.. what can I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 7, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Of course they can, they can stlll sue in court for a judgement and deny there was ever a phone agreement done.

Your mistake is even talking to them on the phone, write them a letter notifing them that they are not to call on the phone any longer but only contact you in writing.

I would also send them a letter with the next payment stating this payment is made per your agreement ( date and time) and name of person you made the agreement with, that this debt to be paid over so many months at certain payment. Ask them to confirm this agreement in writing,
    If they will not, they have no intention on honoring it latter.

I will give you a big help, collection people lie, they will tell you anything, try to scare you, what ever it takes to get their money,
    They are paid a percentage of the money they get, that is why they are pissed, they are not making more money off you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still have car but have not made a payment [ 14 Answers ]

I still have my 2006 car that I purchased back in May 2006. My last payment was November 2006. I have had major health problems and unable to work. The car was my only transportation. I still have my car and have not made a payment. They have not called or anything in past year. It is on my credit...

Three months ago me and my daughter father made a agreement with out the courts [ 6 Answers ]

I got married a year ago and had to move from CA to NC cause my husband is the military . That's when I told my daughter father that it would be better for her that we came into a agreement instead of the court to decide that she would stay with him six months and then come home to me. I wanted to...

I think I made a mistake. Agreeing to a payment [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am in West Virginia. I rec a summons on may 11 stating I had 20 days to respond at the courts office. Here it is, 11 days later. I called and was told my payment options. Never once did she tell me that by agreeing to this that a judgement would be against me. She said call back mon...

Made one payment [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is crissy again about the law suit I took out in 10/04 and now I received one payment of $50.00 because I said I was going to take him back to court and I received that in feb 07 since he made that payment I guess I can not take him back to court?

Collection Agency Said They Made A Mistake [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I are preparing our finances to be eligible for a mortgage. I was approved for a loan to settle our outstanding, very old (five years, no action) credit card debts. I had 6100 with Discover, that was still held by the creditor, and my husband at 6800 with MBNA which had been sold to...

View more questions Search