Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeepey Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 03:05 AM
    Calculating slope and change in slope (Mathcad)
    Hello, I have been using mathcad for a only a few weeks, so my knowledge of it is limited.

I have a set of data points which I have created some polynomial and cubic splines on a graph.
    What I want to do is calculate the slopes and change in slope of the curves.

Any help on a mathcad function that can do this would be appreciated, I was hoping I could attach my mathcad work sheet but won't let me attach the file :(

Thanks in advance :cool:
    mathcad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 09:49 PM
    If you have created the polynomial or interpolating function, you can just use the first derivative operator (click on the calculus icon/toolbar) to get the slope and use the second derivative operator to get the rate of change of the slope.

For example:

Suppose you have two sets of data vx and vy and you create the interpolating function by using cubic spline and interpolation:

vs:=cspline(vx,vy)
    y(x):=interp(vs,vx,vy,x)

Then the slope is

s(x):=d/dx y(x)

The operator d/dx must be obtained from the calculus toolbar, you can't just type d/dx. The slope at any point can be calculated easily, for example at x = 2, just type s(2) and the equal sign.
    jeepey Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Thank you very much for your help,
    That's worked a treat!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete slope [ 1 Answers ]

I am setting tile on an outside patio that is on the second level of the house. The patio is a concrete slab that is completely level. I need to know what kind of concrete to use and how to go about diverting all the water so that it will drain properly

Drain Slope [ 18 Answers ]

I've heard 1/4" per foot and I've also heard 1/8" per foot is acceptable for waste lines. What is the ideal slope? Does it depend on pipe size or fixture type? (i.e. toilet vs sink) Thanks!

Slope and intercept this is it for now . [ 2 Answers ]

1. Which line is the flattest (or is less steep)? Why? y = 5x -6 y = 5x + 6 y = x - 3 y = x + 3 2. The line y = 4x - 7 crosses the y axis at: (4, 0) (0, 4)

The slope [ 2 Answers ]

What is the slope of the line parallel to -2x-y=6?

Undefined slope [ 2 Answers ]

If a line has an undefined slope, what can you say about the horizontal coordinates of each of the points on the line?

View more questions Search