Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vailja7 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Odor coming from under kitchen sink sometime from downstairs bathroom
    We purchased a weekend house in the mountain in the summer. In Dec, we noticed an odor coming from the kitchen sink area and sometimes an oder from the lower level bathroom. I immediate used baking soda and different odds in ends to try to stop the odor but nothing worked. Then we thought it came from the sewer but we had the sewage pumped out just months ago. It is a sewage odor so we thought the snow must of covered the only vent line that exits the roof. However, we can now see the vent and the snow is not covering it but we still smell the odor but at a less degree. Now it seem to smell when you open the kitchen sink cabinet doors and not in the garbage disposal or the second sink's drain. Any thoughts?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2011, 10:25 AM

Weekend homes are fairly famous for traps evaporating. If you don't use a fixture for weeks on end the trap can dry out and allow sewer gas onto the home. Pour water into all fixtures , drains and floor drains and then see if the smell is gone.

Mar 27, 2011, 10:31 AM
    We also thought about p-traps but even after we stay there for a few days, the odor remains but at a lesser degree.

Mar 27, 2011, 12:19 PM

Could even be a failed toilet wax ring. I have a weekend place too and this can be difficult to track down because we are always coming and going

Mar 27, 2011, 01:38 PM
    I'll try a new wax ring. The bathroom is direcly below the kitchen so it must be related. However, you can smell the odor more often in the kitchen.

Mar 27, 2011, 06:31 PM

Replacing the ring means to lift out the toilet comletely. You can do a simple cheap test to see if it's the ring. Take a fist sized clump of children's play clay and roll it i9not a rope long enough to go around the toilet vbaseat the floor. Pack the clay tight to the floor and the toilet. If the smell weakens or goes away it a bad ring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Odor coming from under Kitchen sink [ 73 Answers ]

I have noticed an odor coming from the cabinets where the kitchen sink is. I have looked for any leaks where the sink is, but have not found any. Could the odor be coming from the sewage? How can I tell? If so, then what can I do to get rid of it? Any help would be a appreciated. Thanks.

Odor coming from kitchen sink [ 3 Answers ]

There is a sewer gas smell coming from my kitchen sink. When I first bought the house the washer backed up and the rotor-rooter guy said that the main drain has two large pipes coming into it at the same place and not to run the dishwasher and washer at the same time. Would weekly applications of a...

Sewage odor coming from bathroom sink only [ 1 Answers ]

We have a small 1/2 bathroom on the main floor of our house. We just started getting a sewage odor from the sink the last couple days. I pulled the drain stop out and pulled out hair, etc. I think I cleaned most of the stuff out. We just got a new washer and dryer and installed it downstairs about...

Mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

There is an mildew odor coming from the kitchen sink. I have tried putting baking soda, lemons and bleach down it but nothing has worked. It seems like it is mainly coming from the garbage disposal side of the sink. On some days it is stronger than others, but now I have to keep the drain caps...

View more questions Search