Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebony1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
    IT-203 NY form, line 13 - unemployment compensation
    I'm a NJ resident who collected unemployment benefits from NJ up until April 2009. In May 2009, I was gainfully employed in NY from May through end of 2009. When completing the IT-203 for NY State, line 13 - unemployment compensation - do I need to enter any amount since the unemployment money I received for 4 months of 2009 was from NJ not NY? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 14, 2010, 07:43 AM

You report your NJ unemployment income in the "federal amount" column for line 13, but put $0 in the "NY amount" column. The way the math works with this form, your tax rate is calculated based on your total income, but you are actually taxed only on the "NY amount."
    ebony1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2010, 10:25 AM

Thank you so much ebaines... I really appreciate it. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get my 1009-g tax form on line for my unemployment [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I can get my 1009-g tax form on line for unemployment in Illinois

Unemployment Compensation [ 14 Answers ]

I lost my job 4 months ago. I got tired of sitting at home and took a job which was not categorized as "suitable work". I was trying to make an attempt to start receiving an income. After 4 days on the job, I experienced pain from an injury which did not occur on the job. My doctor provided a...

I need an address to send my it-203 tax form! [ 4 Answers ]

I received a letter saying I had forgotten to send in my it-203 for ny state form but I lost the letter and I just need the address so I can send it in... help if you can please!! thanks!

Tax Form IT-203 [ 1 Answers ]

We live in NJ but my husband worked for 3 months in NY. We are filling out the NY Non-resident tax form IT-203 but it is asking for all the same info we already filed on our Federal tax form for ALL income earned (including that earned in NJ). I think we should only be putting in the amount...

View more questions Search