Credit Card Debt
    An elderly widow is encouraged to pay off her late husbands
    Credit card debt which was in his name only. They may attach monies
    left by the husband. But can they attach her social security income and
    her late husband's life insurance
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 16, 2014, 08:56 AM
    They can't go after the widow's assets unless she was on the credit card account, and social security is automatically exempt from collection. As for life insurance - laws vary by state, but typically a certain amount of the death benefit is exempt from collection. You mention that they can go after monies he left, but she should be aware that if there was a joint checking account they can go after that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2014, 10:04 AM
    Any debts in his name should be paid from the proceeds of the estate. If there is insufficient funds in the estate then inform the creditors of that fact. Her SS is safe. Life Insurance proceeds should go to her outside the estate.
    Anoni Mouse Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Apr 18, 2014, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Her SS is safe.
    "she should be aware that if there was a joint checking account they can go after that."

If this is true (I'm not sure it is. I would assume the interest in the checking account extinguishes on death, but I don't know) then she better not comingle her SS funds into the joint checking account!
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 03:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoni Mouse View Post
    "she should be aware that if there was a joint checking account they can go after that."

If this is true (I'm not sure it is. I would assume the interest in the checking account extinguishes on death, but I don't know) then she better not comingle her SS funds into the joint checking account!
    Thanks so much

Apr 19, 2014, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anoni Mouse View Post

You assume incorrectly (as you have on other occasions). It depends on how the account is titled. If it is right of survivorship, then yes, the account goes to the survivor upon death. But if its not, then the account becomes an asset of the estate and is attachable. We pride ourselves on the accuracy of the advice we give here. Please don't guess when you don't know.

But you do make a valid point about commingling funds.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 07:14 AM
    You assume incorrectly (as you have on other occasions). It depends on how the account is titled. If it is right of survivorship, then yes, the account goes to the survivor upon death. But if its not, then the account becomes an asset of the estate and is attachable. We pride ourselves on the accuracy of the advice we give here. Please don't guess when you don't know.

But you do make a valid point about commingling funds.
    All the financial accounts have the wife as beneficiary. Would that be
    The same as survivorship?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 19, 2014, 08:31 AM
    In death or divorce the onus is on one party to handle their business correctly. That mean getting facts immediately and restructuring quickly. If you are unsure of whether an account is subject to liability, and or court proceedings you go immediately to find out and close it before any outside influence is attached.

Its all subject to local laws and jurisdictions any way, so do your business before a lawyer for any interest can do theirs. You are in a better position of leverage negotiating with creditors when they have no frozen assets to use, and nothing of yours in the other parties name. Few surviving spouses exercise the simply right to dispute any claim or any amount, after closing all accounts of the deceased. Joint, or NOT. Handle your business first, mourn later.

Apr 19, 2014, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pastor1189 View Post
    All the financial accounts have the wife as beneficiary. Would that be
    The same as survivorship?
    No a beneficiary is different. A beneficiary may not even be a joint owner. In fact, if there is a right of survivorship, there is no need to name that person as a beneficiary. Since its implied.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2014, 09:36 AM
    No a beneficiary is different. A beneficiary may not even be a joint owner. In fact, if there is a right of survivorship, there is no need to name that person as a beneficiary. Since its implied.
    Very interesting. Regarding right of survivorship, on a broad front could that be done by a will ? Or better yet
    how can this be accomplish?

Apr 19, 2014, 10:02 AM
    Right of survivorship is in the title of asset. It is usually done when the asset is acquired or opened. But title can be changed. It is specific to that asset and causes the asset to be passed to the survivor outside the estate so its not subject to probate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main street sueing for credit card debt no longeron any credit report [ 1 Answers ]

Can main street sue for credit card debt no longer on any of my credit reports. No listing of any accts they listed on suit.

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad? [ 11 Answers ]

Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

College Loan Debt & Credit Card Debt [ 1 Answers ]

Answer Received

View more questions Search