Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akhp2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 09:52 AM
    How can this be?
    I am the mother of an 8 week old little girl. A paternity test was done prior to her birth off amniotic fluid. Since her birth her father has had contact with her numerous times. He now is saying that he wants to terminate his rights to her and not have any contact with her. He also says that when he terminates his rights that he will not have to financially support her. I live in the state of Kentucky. Is this true if there is no one to adopt her or financially support her?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
    Contact a good attorney
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2007, 09:59 AM
    He can terminate his rights, but not his obligations. I agree with the previous poster - get an attorney or contact your local child social services.
    Mom of 2 Posts: 449, Reputation: 90

Jun 1, 2007, 10:36 AM
    How old are you? This will not have any effect on what he is trying to get away with, I was just curious. Do you want to keep this baby? It sounds as though you are considering adoption, which is a commendable act if you feel that you yourself cannot take care of a baby on your own.

In regard to support, giving up rights does not mean giving up obligations. He still needs to financially support his child. From the sounds of it, though, he most likely does not make very much, so you need to pull yourself up by the bootstraps and be able to financially take care of you and your baby. In my state, child support for one child is 20%, but 20% of minimum wage or a low paying job is not that much. You certainly cannot live only on that.

Good luck to you!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search