Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahbuia Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 01:05 PM
    Where do I plug audio in to get audio out only to speaker b on receiver
    Hi,
    I am trying to set up a zone 2 on my AV receiver. I have speaker output RCA jacks for Speaker A and Speaker B and a front switch to toggle between the two. How do I set up an audio input that will go only to Speaker B when it is activated? There is only audio in for DVD, VCR, CD, etc and not specifically to Speaker B.
    i.e. I would like a separate input to go to Speaker A and another input source to go to Speaker B.

I need to know because I have a VCD with 2 languages playing simultaneously - one on the L speaker track, one on the R. I would like to set up Speaker A to only play the R audio output from the DVD player and Speaker B to play only the L audio output from the DVD player. This way, I can use the front toggle to either listen to the first or second language and not both simultaneously. I know that sound will only come out of 1 speaker at a time with this setup.

I'm just confused about this. Please help!
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I would like a separate input to go to Speaker A and another input source to go to Speaker B.
    I'm not totally sure I understand what you want to do, but let's go with this:

The audio output speaker set is selected with the toggle switch.

There is one pair of amplifiers in your stereo receiver. The amplifiers amplify whatever goes into into the system -- sound from DVD, VCR, CD, etc. That sound is routed to the output toggle switch and from there, it will go to the speakers that are selected by the output speaker set toggle switch. So far, you can't do what you want to do.

You do have two amplifiers in your receiver -- one for the left channel and one for the right. You could put an external switch on the inputs and use a "Y" adapter to feed the signal from the left into both inputs and, when you flip the switch, the signal coming from the right would go into both inputs.

Something like this will work.

http://www.hdtvhookup.com/2wayauviswse.html

If you connect it with a "Y"-adapter

http://www.cablesnmor.com/rca-y-cables.aspx

(You can get these all over the place).

May 10, 2009, 04:47 PM
    Thanks Perito. That is helpful to know.
    I'm still confused about something -
    Basically the story is like this: the sound system used to be set up so that when one hit Speaker A on the front panel, only Mandarin would come out of the R speaker only. When Speaker B was toggled, only Cantonese would come out of the L speaker only.
    Then someone fiddled with it and now I have both languages coming out simultaneously from the R speaker when I hit Speaker A and none when I hit Speaker B.

I did research and found that VCDs have both languages simultaneously, one to R audio out and one to L audio out.

I'm just trying to restore the system to what it was before but I can't figure out where to plug in the RCA jacks from the VCD player.
    I think theoretically it was set up so that the R speaker is attached to Speaker A on the receiver and the L speaker to Speaker B. Then the R audio out from the VCD player was hooked up to go only to Speaker A and the L audio out was hooked up only to go to Speaker B.

I just can't figure out how on the receiver to plug in my audio out jacks from the VCD so that I can do this. i.e. there is no label that says "audio input that outputs to speaker A only" and "audio input that goes to Speaker B only"
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 07:29 PM

There's probably something about the system that I don't understand. This sounds like the balance is being changed from left to right. I'm afraid that unless I could see the system, I couldn't figure it out without a lot more information.

May 11, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Thanks so much Perito for all your help and effort - I really do appreciate it a lot.

I guess the simplest way I could phrase this is
    How do you program a receiver so that for example, an input from the CD player plays out of Speaker A only and an input from the DVD player plays only out of Speaker B when you toggle with the front panel A/B switch?

I hope that makes sense. If not, please don't trouble yourself too much - I can play around with the system for a while and see what I figure out.
    Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 06:38 AM

If a 2 zone system, it should work.

Does sound like its in the balance, left for 1 language and right for second language, I may be missing something.

May 17, 2009, 06:34 PM
    If a 2 zone system, it should work.

I think it's a 2 zone system since it has a separate front switch for speaker A and B but I'm not sure how I can make sure it's a 2 zone system.

Does sound like its in the balance, left for 1 language and right for second language, I may be missing something.

It's not balance - it's a really strange system with VCDs where the sound is full strength 1 language on R and full strength 2nd language on L. I tried to just use balance to switch R vs. L but unfortunately the balance, even when completely turned to the R or L, still doesn't knock out the 2nd language from playing. You still hear both languages but it's more 80-20%.

I currently sort of figured out how to do this. I plugged the R speaker out into the Video in on the back of the AV receiver and the L speaker out into the CD in on the back of the AV receiver. Thus, when I hit "Video" mode on the front of the AV receiver, it only plays the R speaker and when I switch to "CD" it only plays the L speaker. It's not perfect as only 1 speaker works at a time but at least I don't hear 2 languages at once.

Thanks!
    bearcatk Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 01:59 AM
    Thanks Perito. That is helpful to know.
    I'm still confused about something -
    Basically the story is like this: the sound system used to be set up so that when one hit Speaker A on the front panel, only Mandarin would come out of the R speaker only. When Speaker B was toggled, only Cantonese would come out of the L speaker only.
    Then someone fiddled with it and now I have both languages coming out simultaneously from the R speaker when I hit Speaker A and none when I hit Speaker B.

I did research and found that VCDs have both languages simultaneously, one to R audio out and one to L audio out.

I'm just trying to restore the system to what it was before but I can't figure out where to plug in the RCA jacks from the VCD player.
    I think theoretically it was set up so that the R speaker is attached to Speaker A on the receiver and the L speaker to Speaker B. Then the R audio out from the VCD player was hooked up to go only to Speaker A and the L audio out was hooked up only to go to Speaker B.

I just can't figure out how on the receiver to plug in my audio out jacks from the VCD so that I can do this. i.e. there is no label that says "audio input that outputs to speaker A only" and "audio input that goes to Speaker B only

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multimedia Audio Controller /REALTEK AC'97 Audio [ 10 Answers ]

Hi - it appears that the multimedia audio controller problem that I had has now morphed into a REALTEK AC'97 Audio problem. I loaded a driver for the mother board to fix the MAC problem after helpful folks assisted me in getting the specs on the motherboard (ECS PS45A/DX+1.0 if it makes a...

My TV squeaks when I plug the audio into my TV [ 1 Answers ]

My TV squeaks when I plug the audio into my TV

Audio floor speaker distortion [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved and had to re-set up my home theater system and speakers. My speakers sound terrible now because they don't have a crisp sound to them and are "fuzzy" sounding at times especially on songs with more bass. I went and bought new speaker wire, shortened the length of the wires, made...

View more questions Search