Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larryhill131984 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Overflow pipe is leaking water
    My overflow pipe which is the white pipe coming out of the house is leaking and the downstairs toilet is making a loud high pitched noise I have been told that this is due to the ballcock is this correct and how would I change that if I needed to?

If anyone could help that would be much appreciated.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 08:04 PM
    I assume the "overflow" pipe is your sewer clean out. If that what it is, than it means your sewer is blocked and needs to be snaked. Also, that "overflow" pipe should have water tight cap. Make sure you install one after you finished your pipe cleaning.

The toilet noise is separate problem. Turn your angle stop all the way Off and back On. If noise still continues, yes, clean your ballcock. Close incoming water, remove ballcock head, clean it under running water in the sink and reinstall.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 20, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Overflow pipe is leaking water
    Would this white pipe be a 4" sewer or 3/4" AC or heater pan drain? If it's a sewer the open up, the cleanout and snake to the street. I'm assumimg that you have a float ball ball cock, (see image). Close the angle stop and remove the three screws on top of the ball cock and pull the float ball and stem assembly up pry the washer out and turn it over, seat it firmly! Before you button up turn the water back on for a second to flush out the supply Now reassemble and test. Noise better now?": Regards. Tom
    vgeorge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2010, 08:43 PM
    How would I know if the overflow pipe over my patio is for my a/c or sewer and what do I need to do since it is dripping?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out outside overflow pipe [ 10 Answers ]

I noticed a fairly steady drip of cool or cold water coming out of my outside overflow drain in the eve of my house. Also, there is quite a bit of water collected on the ground. It has been quite hot outside and my A/C has been running quite a bit so I am not sure I really have anything to worry...

Leaking pipe that goes into water heater [ 5 Answers ]

The pipe the goes into my hot water heater is leaking a little bit, how to fix it? Thank you for any help

Water tank overflow to stormwater leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site but was hoping someone could help me with a watertank issue. I have a 3000L external tank, not plumbed in to the house but used for watering the garden, in Brisbane, Australia. With all the rain it fills up very quickly and then the water flows to the overflow stormwater...

Water is coming out of the overflow pipe [ 2 Answers ]

The overflow pipe which, I presume, comes out of a tank in the attic is letting water out intermitently. The pipe comes out from above my bedroom window, below the roof. What could be the cause of the problem ? Thanks in anticipation.

Leaking overflow pipe in water tank [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop my overflow pipe in the cold water tank from leakin?

View more questions Search