Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asavino Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Cost of Sales or Expense?
    I have a small temporary employment agency. When setting up an income statement, should the federal and state unemployment company contributions be considered a cost of sale or and an expense?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

May 15, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Any payroll tax expenses are part of your payroll expenses. i.e. whenever you're charging any particular payroll is the same place you would charge the associated taxes that go with them. It's all part of the cost of payroll. i.e. if your charging the temps under cost of sales, then the taxes go the same place. But like if your secretary's salary is under admin expenses, then so are the taxes.

If there's an easy way to do it, it can be charged literally by how the taxes split themselves out. If there is not an easy way to do this (based on your method, software, whatever), then the easy way is to pro-rate the total.

If it's a very small company and you don't have to get that technical about stuff, you can also get away with just putting them all under admin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of Sales and Inventories [ 1 Answers ]

I am doing Schedule Raw Materials, I need to know do Delivery charges on the material need to be recorded on the Raw Materials schedule or on the Schedule in Work in Process. Do the "depreciatin-manufacturing" and "factory supplies used" goes on the statement along with Selling and...

Bad debt expense for net credit sales [ 0 Answers ]

Sales (100% on credit) $1,560,000 Sales Returns 60,000 Accounts Receivable (December 31, 2001) 250,000 Allowance for Doubtful Accounts (before adjustment at December 31, 2001)...

Net sales-cost of goods sold= [ 2 Answers ]

What is the net sales minus cost of goods sold?

View more questions Search