Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Jan 20, 2009, 07:13 AM
    Logging on
    Every time I start my computer a window appears for me to log on. I don't need any longer to put in a password - it just tells me to push ctrl=alt=delete and after that the window disappears and then comes back again and by clicking on it a second time I am logged on. But why do I have to go through this ritual? How could I just get rid of this window and log on automatically as soon as I start up the PC?
    Thanks
    Richka
    tf7426 Posts: 282, Reputation: 21

Jan 20, 2009, 11:27 AM

Go to run and type "control userpasswords2" without hyphens, on second tab at the bottom untick "press ctrl+alt+del to log in"

Edit: if you don't want it to ask for a password at ALL then on the first tab highlight your account and untick the checkbox at the top, if its not ticked then just leave it

Jan 20, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Comment on tf7426's post
    It did not work and now I cannot log on at all.

Jan 20, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Logging on
    I followed someone's advice here about logging on (my OTHER computer) and now I can't log on at all. It asks for my user name then my password. I can remember a password but user name I've long forgotten. It says administrator but that does not work.
    Now I cannot log on at all. Is there anything I can do to get into the computer or do I have to take it to the factory? Could I attach THIS computer by cable to the other one and transfer information? Or what? Please help if you can.
    Thanks
    Richard
    BIGBOPPER Posts: 351, Reputation: 28

Jan 20, 2009, 09:54 PM

You can try this service, Windows XP Login Recovery - Window password recovery within minutes. it is free but you have to wait 72 hours. Or you can pay to get the service faster.

Or this one, Annoyances.org - Forgotten Administrator Password (Windows XP Discussion Forum) Or just Google "how can I override the password function on my computer?" That worked for me... Or, you may have to re-install windows, and there goes all of your info. Hopefully not. Take care.
    ragedigital Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2009, 09:30 AM

Well, you can take the hard drive out and put it as a secondary in another and take all of the information off it.

Jan 22, 2009, 10:47 AM
    How exactly can I do that? I have another PC (that I'm using now) but it has windows vista. Does that make a difference? I'm intermediate level so I would have to have detailed steps in removing and replacing a hard drive.
    Just sent the problem to HP as the PC is a HP COmpaq, Windows XP and waiting for an answer but doubt if they can come up with anything other than buying another of their pcs..
    Thanks anyway.
    Richard
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2009, 10:50 AM
    I do tech support on the side and any seasoned tech support person worth his salt would be able to get by your logon problem and get the PC back to you. Look for one in your town but avoid Best Buy/Future Shop tech support like the plague.

Jan 26, 2009, 02:51 PM
    ISO Image file
    I'm locked out of my XP COmpac Presario PC because I don't have a password or it was destroyed. SOmething to do with the logging in that's impossible. A friend is sending me a ISO image disc but I don't know a thing about this ISO business. Wikipedia tells about it but the language is far too technical for me. Is there a simple explanation of ISO image and would it help me get into that PC? I've been told to press F8 continuously but that doesn't bring me to a start up at all. Would I put the ISO disc in and it might bring me to a start up page or what? Simple please. Thanks, Richard
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2009, 05:07 PM

You need to burn the ISO to a disc, here is a free program that can burn ISO files

Image Burn

FREEWARE
    Website The Official ImgBurn Website
    Steps to burn an ISO-image (to CD , DVD , HD DVD , Blu-Ray)

1. Browse to the ISO-file you want to burn
    2. Select the ISO file and right-mouse-click now
    3. Choose "Burn using ImgBurn"
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jan 26, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by richka View Post
    Is there a simple explanation of ISO image...
    It is simply a single file that contains the contents of an entire CD disc. ISOs are usually used to transfer or distribute a copy (image) of a physical CD by electronic means such as downloading from a website or by email. The image file is then used to easily make a CD-R disc that is a copy of the original disc with the normal utility software that typically accompanies a CD-R/RW drive. ISOs can also be used with DVD disc formats.

Quote Originally Posted by richka View Post
    ... and would it help me get into that pc?
    It would depend on what the ISO is an image of. For example, if someone sent you an ISO of their Cook'n with Betty Crocker software CD, that probably isn't going to help. If it is an ISO of a Windows XP disc, that could be more helpful, albeit illegal. This site's moderators tend to eliminate posts containing information pertaining to circumventing security measures, therefore you're probably going to need to install another copy of Windows XP to gain access and then delete the original Windows installation.

F8 pressed during boot after the computer finishes POST (Power On Self Test) will invoke XP's Boot Menu. It usually pressed repeatedly so that the keystroke is in the keyboard buffer and recognized at the appropriate time before the startup process progresses too far. The window of opportunity for a single keystroke is very short with the speed of modern hardware. F8 is usually mentioned in conjunction with starting XP in Safe Mode (discussed at A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP), but even in safe mode, log on is still required.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 26, 2009, 05:16 PM

I agree with Scleros. It really depends on why you are locked out. There may be other ways to recover.

Is this password a poweron password or a Windows password? Do you have data on the PC that you want to preserve?

Jan 27, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Locked out of my computer
    I'm locked out of my XP COmpac Presario PC because I don't have a password and forgot my user name or it was destroyed. SOmething to do with the logging in that's impossible.
    Someone on this desk suggested I continuously press f8. THis I did and finally got a SAFE MODE screen. NOW I don't know what to do with that. There are various options but which one would help me to get me into the ocomputer interface so I could log on?
    Thanks. You guys have been a big help to me in the past. Richka

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Logging on to Orange Webmail [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first question. I am not a computer techie but have navigated through a number of problems in the past. However, this one is beyond me - I have been logging into Orange Webmail for a long time and today for the first time ever I am unable to get past the...

Getting rid of game window when logging on [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: I am having trouble getting rid of game I downloaded and it won't uninstall and the window keeps coming up when I log onto my computer.

Msn logging in automatically [ 9 Answers ]

I need to know how to stop it doing so on my laptop

Help logging on to windows [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I am trying to log on to the windows xp. The windows logs on and stops at the screen where the correct user has to be chosen. When I choose owner (which is me, and that's the only use comes up anyway), it starts to log on and then loff off imediatley and go back to the same screen. I...

Automatically logging on [ 1 Answers ]

How can I program my W2000 to dialup automatically when I turn on my computer

View more questions Search