Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BJTK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Strong smell when heating is on
    We get a strong smell like sulphur in the kitchen when the central heating is on.
    The boiler is in a small shed outside of the kitchen.

We had this last yar but it went and this year we knocked off our heating for a few days when away from home and after we put it back on the smell came back.

We have checked the gas and drains etc and they are OK.

Any solutions?
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 23, 2008, 07:57 AM
    This suggests somewhere a real hot (in temperature) wire or contact related to the central heating.
    Just check the involved connections and/or outlets for smell and warmth. Once found : tighten up the connection.

Success !
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Do you have baseboard heat.fan coil, or
    ?

Is it oil fired?
    BJTK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 10:46 AM
    It is a gas central heating system
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
    I would have it checked. It could be a defective heat exchanger since it is gas central heating. If it was a boiler as you said in your first post this would not apply except to say that the fumes could come from the burning of the boiler and leaking into the house.Always better to be safe than sorry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strong smell when furnace running [ 1 Answers ]

I have a kerosene furnace. Up until recently it has been running fine. Within the past 2 weeks I have been having a strong odor of kerosene coming from the vents when the blower comes on. The smell has been getting stronger and is so bad now it fills the whole house with it. I have turned my...

Strong smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

There is a strong odor in my basement, and it's getting worse. I can't tell where it's coming from, but it smells very similar to when you burn a pan on the stove or the handle of a pan. It's does seem like a burning kind of smell. I am worried it's electrical, or maybe the furnace. I don't know...

Strong, irritating smell in the kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

At times I come home to my apartment to a strong smell in the kitchen. This has increased over time, but does not seem to happen every day. I associate this smell with that I've experienced in older motel rooms. I am sure it is the same thing, or something very similar. (The smell is the same.)...

Strong smell of ramps in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have a very strong smell of ramps in our house. We have checked under house in the crawl space and there is nothing growing under the house. Was wondering if the smell could be coming from under the front porch of the house, no access from the crawl space, or from where could the smell be from?...

Strong urine smell (new house) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be...

View more questions Search