Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mckeeca Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 12:57 AM
    Pipes freeze in winter time
    I have a set of pipes in my bathroom that are subject to freezing in the wintertime due to a home addition which allows air to access space in the walls. We tried adding insulation to the outside wall where the air comes in but it is not enough. The pipes are accessible through a drop panel and there is an electrical outlet nearby. Are there small space heaters that are used for enclosed spaces? Or pipe heaters? I'm worried about them getting wet as the space is underneath a tub.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:49 AM
    I have had a problem also with pipes freezing and then bursting in the winter. There were two things that I did in order to help the situation. One, was that I created an extra furnace duct and ran it up into the wall where the pipes were freezing. Two, I cut a hole in the wall by the pipes that would freeze and put a vent in the opening that I had created so that warm are would go into the vent.

There are electrical cords that are made for heating pipes that you wrap around them.

electric pipe insulation - Google Search

There might be someone with a better answer for your question, though.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbits In Winter [ 1 Answers ]

My rabbit has been in the shed since November I was wondering when I should bring him back outside in the garden. :) :) :) :)

Heat in the winter [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an apartment (building built in 1800's) in west chester, Pennsylvania and I do not have a thermostat in my apartment. My neighbor downstairs has the thermostat to control the heat for both our apartments. Minus the kitchen and office, each room has a single hot water radiator. My...

Outside AC unit kicking on in winter [ 3 Answers ]

I have central air, and the outside unit (condenser right? I'm a complete noob) kicks on for about 30 seconds, then stops for 30 seconds, then repeats. This doesn't seem normal. Advice? Thx!

View more questions Search