Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I got hacked
    Someone tried to do a $3000 purchase with my paypal account. I had an ultra strong password so am sure I got nailed by a keylogger.

Bummer too, I was just now logged into my hosting account for a website and saw that one of my email addresses had been changed to something else!

I use AVG Free at home and at work and I get nothing found with the scan. I use ZoneAlarm free for firewall and never got any intrusion messages.

... so I wonder if AVG Free is just not an adequate anti virus program?

At home I use a laptop connected to the net via an unsecured wireless network. Does using an unsecured wireless network allow a keylogger to bypass a good antivirus and firewall program?

... so I'm changing passwords for logins that are to sensitive info, but am mostly now concerned about finding the problem and solving it.

Any suggestions? Do you think it's a keylogger that just somehow got past my AVG?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Quite possible.
    You mention Anti virus and firewall, but NO anti spyware at all.
    Time to get Adaware and/or spybot.
    Give me a shout and I'll see what can be done ;)

Also you MUST secure your WiFi connection.
    Even basic WEP encryption will deter a script kiddie and keep you safer.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I did run spybot and got a clean report but I'm now reading that keyloggers are "non-signature malware" which I read that typical anti ad-ware and anti spy-ware programs do not find so well.

I'm trying out this one now - to see if it finds something that spybot did not find.

This is just NOT my week :(
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Also give Trend Housecall a go.
    Trend Micro HouseCall - Start

Also Spybot has a great resident function called teatimer, which monitors your registry for changes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please Help Someone Hacked My Yahoo [ 52 Answers ]

Hi everyone As of last night someone managed to hack into my Yahoo email account. I would just set a new email up but Ive used my account for several years and everything is stored in there. I don't know what to do, and how to regain entry, also the longer its left I wonder what someone is...

Someone Hacked Me [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone but someone hacked my e mail address and changed my password I've been told that the person is saying really disgusting things to people and I'd really like to know if there is someone who can help me get my password back. Because if I don't I'm in a lot of trouble!! SOMEONE PLEASE...

Someone hacked my mail... [ 6 Answers ]

Hey!! Someone hacked my mail. I think he/she answered my hotmail secret question. After answering it, they changed the password, accessed to PERSONAL AND VERY IMPORTANT information, and to other sites that contain security settings (such as other passwords). They closed my hotmail account and...

Lightening Group Hacked? [ 21 Answers ]

http://www.evenskin.com/ Am I the only one who cannot get in? I was a member of this lightening group of which I consider the moderators to be very professional and polite. What gives? Where they hacked?

E-Mail Account Hacked [ 1 Answers ]

Friends My Yahoo Email was hacked by some unknown person & changed the password please help me to retrieve the password of my Email Account & tell me through which software I kan retrieve my password back.I have forgotten all secret information which I fillup during creation of my Mail account......

View more questions Search