Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dthornton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2015, 11:26 AM
    Swollen ankles no pain
    For the last 3 weeks my left ankle has been slightly swollen but goes down when I elevate my foot. Now my right ankle is doing it as well. I have not injured my ankles. I also have been getting cramps in my calves a few times lately. I've had blood workup lately and only thing they found was elevated liver enzymes. I had a complete cardiac work up last year. Ekg, heart sonogram, stress test, mri, and heart cath. No problems found. Any ideas? I've Googled it and I keep hearing blood clots and cardiac issues. That doesn't sit well with me. Please help.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jul 6, 2015, 11:57 AM
    The wise choice is to go to the doctor and not listen to people guessing online. It could be a variety of things including blood clots, including an injury that you didn't notice. But to feel safe make an appointment.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 6, 2015, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dthornton View Post
    For the last 3 weeks my left ankle has been slightly swollen but goes down when I elevate my foot. Now my right ankle is doing it as well. I have not injured my ankles. I also have been getting cramps in my calves a few times lately. I've had blood workup lately and only thing they found was elevated liver enzymes. I had a complete cardiac work up last year. Ekg, heart sonogram, stress test, mri, and heart cath. No problems found. Any ideas? I've Googled it and I keep hearing blood clots and cardiac issues. That doesn't sit well with me. Please help.
    Elevated liver enzymes indicates damage to your liver; edema or swelling of the ankles would indicate this. Another indication would be swelling mid torso but these signs and symptoms do not appear at the same time.

We don't have doctors here and not advisable to seek solutions for health issues on line. I suggest you get a second opinion, not necessarily an expensive MRI.

You have compromised your liver, either with alcohol or some other way. Get it sorted out properly with a qualified health practitioner.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 6, 2015, 04:11 PM
    Some of us (such as all the women in my family) have some edema in our ankles, no matter how healthy, old, or overweight or not. It is very common. My left leg in general has more discomfort and edema than the right, and many will suggest that that is because that is the side your heart is on.

Heart, liver, kidneys - age, weight, activity. All go hand in hand. And some amount of heredity!
    Be careful about taking all the OTC drugs that contain ibuprofin and acetaminophin on a regular basis, because they have effects that matter more and more as you age and your organs aren't the powerhouses they once were.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 6, 2015, 09:52 PM
    I'd see a vascular surgeon to check for possible vein issues after you see your physician. An ultrasound of the legs can determine if you have any problems with your veins that can cause swelling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Feet and ankles have been very swollen - need hospital? [ 7 Answers ]

Am a 52 year old male, have had no significant illness or previous health issues. Long relationship (20 years) ended, am now jobless. Saw a doctor, told him I was anxious and depressed. Prescribed 150mg Wellbutrin 1x/day, 50mg Vistaril 2x/day. Have been on these meds for five days. Yesterday...

What do I do for pain on my swollen pinky finger [ 0 Answers ]

My pinky is all swollen red and wit throbbing pain

Swollen Ankles after cruise [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just return from a 3 day cruise and I have swollen ankles... What can I do??

Swollen ankles [ 2 Answers ]

Why are my ankles and calfs so swollen

View more questions Search