Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unknown08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
    solve using quadratic equation
    I have no clue how to solve these 2 word problems!
    1. Chris cuts half a rectangular lawn 40m by 30m, by mowing strips of equal width around the perimeter. Jeri cuts the small rectangle that's left. How wide a strip does Chris cut so that they share the work equally?

2. Dieter makes a journey of 430km travelling 160km by bus and 270 km by car. If the car averages 10km/h faster then the bus and the whole trip takes 5 hours, what is the speed of the car?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 01:26 PM
    First give it a try. Then we'll help along the way.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 03:29 PM
    I have no clue how to solve these 2 word problems!
    1. Chris cuts half a rectangular lawn 40m by 30m, by mowing strips of equal width around the perimeter. Jeri cuts the small rectangle that's left. How wide a strip does Chris cut so that they share the work equally?

The area of the entire lawn is 1200 square meters. Right?

Since they're equal, the inside rectangle has area 600 and the portion Chris cuts is also 600.

Then let the width of the swath that Chris cuts be x.

Now, draw a picture and try to set up the equation. Give it a go and let us know what you get.

Dieter makes a journey of 430km travelling 160km by bus and 270 km by car. If the car averages 10km/h faster then the bus and the whole trip takes 5 hours, what is the speed of the car?
    Since d=rt, t=d/r. We can construct an equation using the givens, distance and rate.

Since the bus's speed is r, then the car must be 10+r.

The sum of the two must equal 5.

Give it a go and let us know what you come up with.
    Attached Images

helpingu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2009, 06:28 PM
    The response above is great! Props to you man, I've worked it out and the one above deserves Good Thing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic equation [ 5 Answers ]

A takes 6 days less than the time taken by B to finish a piece of work.If both A and B together can finish it in 4 days,find the time taken by B to finish the work.

Quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

The local building requires that a lawn of uniform width must surround all factories. The area of the lawn must also equal area occupied by the factory.Determine the widht of lawn required for a rectangular factory that measures 120 meters X 80 meters. This is a quadratic equation word

How do I solve a word dilemma using quadratic equation [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for days on this and went to every website and test I could find but cannot wrap my brain around this. Word problems give me great difficulty and I am supposed to construct a quadratic equation for this. I'd really appreciate some help. if a retailer spends $48 to purchase some...

Quadratic Formula Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you hel pme solve this equation using the quadratic formula: 5X^2-2X+8=0 thank youuuuu!

Quadratic Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Pick out the X and Y coordinates of the vertex from the equation y=x^2+12x-7 Thank you.

View more questions Search