Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pixiegurl Posts: 54, Reputation: 4

Jun 17, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Broke up with boyfriend and still living together
    My boyfriend and I broke up a few days ago. We were together for 2.5 years and also lived together during this time. Looking back I can see where our relationship went wrong and I have accepted that this is the best thing for both of us. The catch to this story though is that we are still living together. It has been decided that I will keep our apartment, however, my ex is going away for work in 6 weeks and he will be gone for 4.5 months... So it seems silly for him to have to find a new place in such a short time and so he has been sleeping on the floor on the loungeroom. I don't hate him and I'm not angry at him. I won't pretend that it doesn't hurt like hell, but I'm slowly getting through one day at a time. The reason I have let him stay is because he has no where else to go for the 6 weeks until he leaves (of which half of that time he will be away rehearsing anyway). So my question/concern is, am I stopping myself from getting over him by doing this? Thanks I'm advance to anyone who replies with advice!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2010, 07:06 PM

You seems like a strong person and knows and accepted the relationship is over. I know your trying to help him out because you know he will be leaving soon. Continue staying strong and once he leave don't let him come back when he return from his trip.
    pandead Posts: 280, Reputation: 228

Jun 18, 2010, 03:36 AM
    Everything seems pretty clear for both of you. It's a little tricky though, it can help you heal to see him every day (but not too much, as you mentioned he will be busy) and get used to the situation, a slow break-up in other words; but it can also make you fall back into his arms when loneliness kicks after a few weeks. If you think you are strong enough and you really understand and accept it's over, there's no problem living together.
    A lot of couples go through this after the breakup until they get their lives together. Just make sure you heal and move on with your life while he's gone.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2010, 05:13 AM

It is the right thing to do for now, because there is a definite end in sight to this situation.

Divorced people often put up with this kind of living arrangement, until they can change it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend is always broke [ 17 Answers ]

I have been with my fiancé for 15 months. During our time together he has never worked. His lives in a house but had to sell his car a 2 months ago because of 3 years of back taxes (which I was unaware of). His mom pays for his groceries, cigerettes, and bills. If she's not doing it, I am. In the...

Boyfriend broke up with me [ 6 Answers ]

This will be long and everyone will wonder why I'm pining over him. So my boyfriend of 2 years broke up with me 8 days ago. Our relationship was always rocky and never stable, yet I still love and care for him deeply and I'm finding it so hard to let go. We met on a chat site and quickly started...

Still living with girlfriend of 3 years who broke up with me [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, It's been two and a half weeks since the love of my life broke up with me and things aren't getting any easier... if anything, they're getting harder and harder as my hopes for reconciliation dwindle. We were together for 3 years and lived together for 2.5 of them. I'm 25 (she's 33)...

View more questions Search