Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carisima Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 06:49 AM
    Motor or squirrel cage mount?
    Air conditioner only makes low pitched whining noise when squirrel cage is coming to a stop after turning off the motor.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 07:14 AM

Mount problems you can usuallytell by moving the motor manually.

It could also be a bearing problem. You'll, again, typically notic some amount of friction in the motor when spinning it by hand.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:16 AM
    The cage itself will not make a noise as long as it is tight on the motor shaft. It could be the motor bearings (usually sleeves not actual ball bearings) could stand to be lubricated but in many cases the motors are lubed for life without a place to actually oil them.

Kill the power and reach into the cage area and see if you can move the shaft in or out or up and down. Too much slack usually indicates the motor is well worn and could need to be replaced. Remember to get a new motor capacitor that matches the new motor you buy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace Squirrel cage suddenly loud [ 12 Answers ]

This is a ten-year old Goodman GMPN100-4. Today the motor suddenly increased in noise. I went downstairs to look it over, and the sound level is very loud, coming from the motor/squirell cage area. I took off the door, reached in, wiggled the squirrel cage to see if it was loose, and it did...

Oil furnace blower motor squirrel cage [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace my furnace blower motor squirrel cage. This is the mechanism that moves air throughout my house for air conditioning or heat. My current squirrel cage is currently out of balance & needs to be replaced. I think my blower motor turns counter clockwise. There is a difference...

Shaking not the brakes or tires maybe motor mount [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant my car has been shaking for a while. I took it to the shop got new tires, had them rebalance them twice to make sure, they said it's my brakes. I got all new brakes, and when I got on the highway to go home I ran into traffic and had to slow down. I pressed the...

Balancing a squirrel cage [ 2 Answers ]

When we moved into our house, the furnace was filthy. Previous tenants didn't use filters. While removing a grocery sack full of dust, dirt & lint, the balancing weights on the squirrel cage came off. They didn't appear to be in great condition either. Where would I take the cage to have it...

How do I get the blower motor cage out of unit? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get the blower motor cage out of unit? I have a rheem horizontal attic mdel

View more questions Search